Lethargic chicken not eating

Pics

bhawk-23

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Apr 12, 2020
East Central Illinois
Hello, I have a flock with Mareks. At end of life stage my girls have breathing distress or neurological symptoms in the last hours and go down fast.

Fluffy is presenting differently.

We were gone this weekend (Friday afternoon-Sunday evening). I saw on the camera that fluffy was stressed on Saturday when my friend brought her boys over to collect eggs. They were not handling her properly. Sunday evening I went out to check on the girls and brought fluffy inside for food and checking. She ate mash and drank water. I brought her out to her roost.

Monday morning we found her puffed up inside the coop near her roosting spot. She has not eaten that I know of since Sunday evening.Monday morning I gave her nutri-drench and she was drinking water. Today she is not eating and drinking less water.
I gave her B-complex.

Normally by now the mareks is really showing. Green poop from starvation or neurological symptoms. But she has neither. She just wants to cuddle. She does not appear to be in distress. No labored breathing or twitches, just lots of sleeping.

She is 7.5 months
She was vaccinated but 3 from her brood died from Mareks died between 14-16 weeks of age.

She is a d’uccle, 1.5 lbs
7.5 months
Is there anything else I could be missing? I just assume mareks and euthanize but I am hesitant. She is my favorite.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    322.3 KB · Views: 196
Let's assume something happened with the boys and Fluffy and she's in stress shock from it. Give her a cup of warm water with a teaspoon of sugar and a pinch of salt stirred in. Cook her a soft boiled egg and let her eat it. Give her a little of her feed in case she decides it's what she wants.

Let's assume something happened with the boys and Fluffy and she's in stress shock from it. Give her a cup of warm water with a teaspoon of sugar and a pinch of salt stirred in. Cook her a soft boiled egg and let her eat it. Give her a little of her feed in case she decides it's what she wants.
I’ve gotten her to drink some molasses, egg yolk and water solution.

I’ll cook up some egg and continue to offer mash, water and add a dish with crumble.

What is the minimum amount of calories a 1.5 lb chicken can survive on for a few days?

Should I give her a 1/2 of calcium tablet because she has not laid since Friday or Saturday.

She needs a bath but I do not want waste any of her energy. She fights me when I pill or syringe her which makes me nervous enough.

I am noticing the flock mate she hangs out with is acting a little off. Not like Fluffy, but a little more quiet than normal. She is still out foraging and running for treats so I’ll just watch closely for the next 24 hrs. I do not believe they picked her up but she was within the vicinity from the camera view and they asked a lot about her.

Fluffy keeps climbing up my chest to tuck into my neck. 🥰
image.jpg

All she wants is the water, egg yolk and molasses mix. Can she drink too much? I used it to make the mash with boiled egg but she is not eating it.

She is peeking up some though🤞🏻🤞🏻

Let her have what she wants to eat and drink, but watch the volume in her crop so she doesn't overfill it. It's not usual that a chicken drinks too much water, but once in a while it can happen.

Let her have what she wants to eat and drink, but watch the volume in her crop so she doesn't overfill it. It's not usual that a chicken drinks too much water, but once in a while it can happen.
So I took away food and water over night because her crop felt off. It had a small lump but all she had was water. This morning the water was gone but there was still a small squishy lump. I massaged it and have yogurt for her but she is not eating still. She did poop, yellow and white nitrates, liquid of course with only taking in water, and seems no worse than yesterday. Not as much improvement as I’d like. I have a calcium today, not last night, and a straight dose of nutridrench. She had a few sips of water. I will make up more of the egg yolk, molasses and water mixture that she liked. I have an appointment so I will have to leave her with a heating pad, box of straw and easily accessible food. I’ll attach a pic of her poop just for an extra opinion. I am kinda wondering if she had an egg broke from the handling, is that possible? I have a range of antibiotics I could start.

Thank you kindly 💜

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    356.8 KB · Views: 14
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    591.5 KB · Views: 13
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    413.5 KB · Views: 20
Yes, the poop does indicate the possibility of egg yolk infection. What antibiotics do you have? I agree it'd be wise to start.

@azygous
Trying to remember exactly, I’m at an appointment.
Tylosin
Amox 10% powder
Doxy 50mg/ml liquid
Baytril
Enroflaxion 10% oral

If none of those work I’ll call hubs to see.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom