Lethargic hen, white watery poop, not drinking and barely eating

She died while I came to check the answer. I will read that thread to see if anything else I could have done. It was very quick. I saw her slow yesterday. Today she was lethargic. I soaked her in epsom salt bath and put her in a crate to dry. She spilled the feed and the water, she didn’t have any while I watched. I went out 30 minutes later and she was gone.

I cut her open to see what the problem was. She had bowel obstruction with stone hard mass, internal bleeding, I assume iand two large pus masses in the oviduct. One was the size of a large mango, the second one the size of an avocado, and the remaining follicles abnormal in colour and hard like pebbles. This didn’t start yesterday but must have been brewing for months.

I don’t know if checking for egg would have helped. I felt a mass but not hard like a normal egg, but rubbery and now I know it is an infected oviduct. If I see a hen with a distended abdomen pooping water and not eating, I won’t wait and treat. She needed to be euthanized asap.

I took pictures, they are shocking. It was helpful to see what was inside so I know what it is when I see it again.
I'm very sorry to hear that she didn't make it. Im wondering if it would be worth researching this a bit more to figure out possible causes and if there are treatments like antibiotics or something. Hope the info. helps in future.

Attachments

• PSX_20180705_230102.jpg
    PSX_20180705_230102.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 397
I'm very sorry to hear that she didn't make it. Im wondering if it would be worth researching this a bit more to figure out possible causes and if there are treatments like antibiotics or something. Hope the info. helps in future.
She had lash eggs inside, various sizes from tiny to giant relative to the size of the bird. It is an infection. We are in an area where vets do bit look at or treat backyard chickens. There is no way for me to investigate, there is no lab that will accept any sample without a vet’s order. It is a tough one to know what to do. Months ago I found a small lash egg in a nest box. Based on the hens’s condition I picked the one I thought laid it and treated it conservatively. It appears I picked the wrong hen. I feel terrible about this. There were no more lash eggs and all the hens were looking healthy. Those that were sick last year have recovered. I spend a lot of time with the chickens in the coop and in the yard. (Before this site crashes I will hit send) and will continue in another post.)

I touch them, pick them up, I check them for any sign of trouble frequently and I watch them for hours. There was nothing I could see out of the ordinary and I am getting plenty of eggs. Out of 14 hens I get 7-9 eggs per day. Not all of them are laying. Some are young, one is broody, some are older from an egg farm.

I read that this is not a reason to cull. But the size of the lash eggs I found inside her must have made her suffer a lot. There is no way she could have passed them even with calcium and antibiotics. I feel terrible that I let her suffer and didn’t notice she was in trouble. So for going forward to prevent masses growing to the unbelievable size, I think I would rather cull and not wait to prolong suffering

I will try to post pictures to make my case when this site is fixed. It is frustrating to keep rewriting my thought because the server keeps crashing.

No I didn't take any pictures of it. It wasn't looking too weird, just clear watery plop with a little white stuff in it that is usually in their poop. That's the pee. The only thing I thought was weird that it wasn't formed just watery.

Is Newcastle transferred by wild birds? We live in a forest with lots of song birds and crows, owls, eagles, hawks.

No I didn't take any pictures of it. It wasn't looking too weird, just clear watery plop with a little white stuff in it that is usually in their poop. That's the pee. The only thing I thought was weird that it wasn't formed just watery.

Is Newcastle transferred by wild birds? We live in a forest with lots of song birds and crows, owls, eagles, hawks.
In the photos what you are holding in your hand looks like lash material, what I would associate with Salpingitis.

https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/disorders-of-the-reproductive-system/salpingitis-in-poultry
https://the-chicken-chick.com/salpingitis-lash-eggs-in-backyard/

Back
Top Bottom