Lethargic hen?

LivReigns

In the Brooder
May 19, 2016
North Carolina
I have an Alsteirer hen that I bought May 6th. She was four months old on the day that I purchased her. So she's now 18 weeks. She's been a very gentle, but skittish chicken, though very healthy. For the past two days all she's been doing is sitting, either in the henhouse or out in the pen. She's no longer skittish for some reason over the past two days and doesn't mind being stroked or touched, but she hasn't been eating very much and turns her nose up at the water feeder. She doesn't seem to be in any pain, and doesn't mind being picked up and rubbed on. I was wondering if anyone has ever experienced this?

I also have a similar issue. I was getting the coop ready for these 4 week old chicks when I noticed one of my hens (the grey on the far left) hasn't really moved all day. She ate a little but seemed mostly tired the whole day while her brother and sister walked about. Usually these guys are all up at the same time, eat at the same time and even poop at the same time! Should I be worried?

I have an Alsteirer hen that I bought May 6th. She was four months old on the day that I purchased her. So she's now 18 weeks. She's been a very gentle, but skittish chicken, though very healthy. For the past two days all she's been doing is sitting, either in the henhouse or out in the pen. She's no longer skittish for some reason over the past two days and doesn't mind being stroked or touched, but she hasn't been eating very much and turns her nose up at the water feeder. She doesn't seem to be in any pain, and doesn't mind being picked up and rubbed on. I was wondering if anyone has ever experienced this?
Welcome to BYC!

Do you have other birds...are they all getting along OK...allowing new bird to eat and drink?
Did you quarantine the new bird...if so how and for how long?

Not eating, drinking and active, allowing to be touched all of a sudden are definitely signs of not feeling well.
Hard to find clues to know just what is wrong....but examine her all over for pests and/or wounds and/or anything unusual. Might be a good idea to isolate her in a wire crate near the other birds and monitor her input and output for a few days.

Last edited:
I also have a similar issue. I was getting the coop ready for these 4 week old chicks when I noticed one of my hens (the grey on the far left) hasn't really moved all day. She ate a little but seemed mostly tired the whole day while her brother and sister walked about. Usually these guys are all up at the same time, eat at the same time and even poop at the same time! Should I be worried?
Welcome to BYC!
Usually best to start a new thread with the details of your situation.....but my response to the OP might help you too.

Welcome to BYC!

Do you have other birds...are they all getting along OK...allowing new bird to eat and drink?

Not eating, drinking and active, allowing to be touched all of a sudden are definitely signs of not feeling well.
Hard to find clues to know just what is wrong....but examine her all over for pests and/or wounds and/or anything unusual. Might be a good idea to isolate her in a wire crate near the other birds and monitor her input and output for a few days.
. We did isolate her. When we checked on her this morning she had already passed. All the other chickens are doing just fine and we pulled her out as soon as she started acting strangely two days ago. The man that I got her from said he's had two pass away suddenly over the last few weeks and wasn't sure himself what was going on, and he's an expert when it comes to chickens. We aren't sure what happened.

Welcome to BYC!

Hard to find clues to know just what is wrong....but examine her all over for pests and/or wounds and/or anything unusual. Might be a good idea to isolate her in a wire crate near the other birds and monitor her input and output for a few days.
When we brought her home she was also kept separate from the others for about four days. She's been perfectly fine up until two days ago.

Back
Top Bottom