Lethargic rooster

laircy

Songster
8 Years
Apr 2, 2011
California
Yesterday I got a beautiful bantam Easter egger rooster from the feed store. He's hiding from the new chickens and afraid to eat, which is understandable when they're new, especially since he's so small and the others are big. I separated him to give him food and water. He's rather slow moving. My best guess is that he just needs a few more days of special feeding, because where I got him he was free-ranging a concrete/gravel/dirt parking lot and may not have had great access to food. Do you agree?

Have you given this new rooster a thorough examination? There may be other reasons than poor nutrition for his lethargy.

Look at his vent area for lice. Look at his feet and legs for raised scales and check the bottoms of his feet for black scabs signalling bumble foot. Check under all his feathers for festering wounds.

I just rescued a hen and she has bumble foot so bad, it's affected her systemically, causing lethargy and sick poop. I have her on an antibiotic for it. But her feet need soaking every day, and repacking with triple antibiotic ointment, then bandaging to keep the wounds clean.

Her previous owner had never thought to look at the bottoms of her feet and there were also stones firmly lodged in deep dimples on her foot pads. That had to have hurt to walk on. Make sure something like this isn't happening with your little guy.

Back
Top Bottom