Let's have a gosling hatchalong!

So I have an incubator question. I've got 3 goose eggs in an incubator, & the humidity is at 50%. There's no water in the incubator, but it's been rainy here.
How can I reduce the humidity? I'm concerned that the eggs won't lose enough weight before hatch time.
(they've only been cooking 4 days so far)
my humidity is up also after the rain... your only on day 4 so you have plenty of time to adjust after the magic first 6 days.

found this! again
hide.gif
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/632744/guide-to-humidity-and-weighing-in-incubation#post_9732312

Thanks! I know I'm kinda being a worry wart.
hide.gif
These are my first goosey eggs.
Thanks for the guide, psue! I've been researching, but I hadn't run across this one before. Pete's an excellent teacher.

I think Mildred is a broody goosey today. Except i dont think she knows what to do. The new geese gave her 2 eggs and she laid, but all three were on her sides in plain sight lol i thought the new geese may have hurt her cause she was laying flat like a pancake. Do they look like that when trying to set? I was on my hands and knees patting her head asking her if she was ok. She didnt try to bite or anything. She did get annoyed and waddled out honking to the pool. So i dont think shes hurt.

Last edited:
my 4th Sebbie baby hatched all by itself at 6 am this morning. Why do they always hatch when I'm at work or asleep? This one I'll call Quatro for now...and I'll upload pics later when I get home from work. It was still pretty wet at noon and didn't have it's walking legs yet...pretty stumbly and floppy still. They're so cute when they're like that and their little heads look like preemie babies still. :)

I think Mildred is a broody goosey today. Except i dont think she knows what to do. The new geese gave her 2 eggs and she laid, but all three were on her sides in plain sight lol i thought the new geese may have hurt her cause she was laying flat like a pancake. Do they look like that when trying to set? I was on my hands and knees patting her head asking her if she was ok. She didnt try to bite or anything. She did get annoyed and waddled out honking to the pool. So i dont think shes hurt.
When mine go broody- you KNOW. The nest will suddenly be full of down, and they will take any eggs they can roll into the nest, and will set tight. If you chase them off, they will be right back.

I had one hatch last night- Toulouse x Sebastopol. Will get a pic up soon.

Last edited:
Can I ask a question? Im getting conflicting information on humidity. Ive been told 20% and 35-40% and up that to 70% when 28 days. What is the answer? We are on day 2 at the moment and at 20%.
Thanks

my 4th Sebbie baby hatched all by itself at 6 am this morning. Why do they always hatch when I'm at work or asleep? This one I'll call Quatro for now...and I'll upload pics later when I get home from work. It was still pretty wet at noon and didn't have it's walking legs yet...pretty stumbly and floppy still. They're so cute when they're like that and their little heads look like preemie babies still. :)

Congrats!!
pop.gif

When mine go broody- you KNOW. The nest will suddenly be full of down, and they will take any eggs they can roll into the nest, and will set tight. If you chase them off, they will be right back.

I had one hatch last night- Toulouse x Sebastopol. Will get a pic up soon.

Congrats!!
pop.gif

Can I ask a question? Im getting conflicting information on humidity. Ive been told 20% and 35-40% and up that to 70% when 28 days. What is the answer? We are on day 2 at the moment and at 20%.
Thanks

The answer is it depends. You want to achieve 16% weight loss from set date to hatch date. I find for my area and type of incubator, 30% works best. When they get ready to hatch, it is important to up humidity to over 70%. I like to keep mine in the 75-80% range.

Our house is very cold, which is probably not going to help.

We have upped the humidity to 50% (put too much water in the incubator). Our eggs weights vary from 170- 220grams when they went in.

Im going to buy another humidity monitor, anyone know of a good make in the UK?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom