Let's play "guess that breed!"

Pent

Songster
7 Years
Apr 23, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
I bought a "silkie" chick, to keep the silkie I hatched out myself company, as it hatched alone. Now, any chick would have done, so I'm not hung up on the breed, just curious. It isn't a silkie, that I do know. Here's the specs:
Single comb. Bantam. Black chick down, black wing feathers coming in. Normal number of toes, some feathering on legs. Hyper as all getout, but that could be an individual thing, I call her Popcorn because of the crazy way she rockets around. I'll get a pic shortly, but any basic guesses?

I bought a "silkie" chick, to keep the silkie I hatched out myself company, as it hatched alone. Now, any chick would have done, so I'm not hung up on the breed, just curious. It isn't a silkie, that I do know. Here's the specs:
Single comb. Bantam. Black chick down, black wing feathers coming in. Normal number of toes, some feathering on legs. Hyper as all getout, but that could be an individual thing, I call her Popcorn because of the crazy way she rockets around. I'll get a pic shortly, but any basic guesses?
Could it be a cochin?
Are the feathers thin, like a silkie? Or normal like a regular chicken?

Normal feathering, not silkie. The legs are a bit feathered, but none on the feet. Less leg feathering than my silkie, same age.

I got it from a woman who has and breeds good quality birds, I have two Orpingtons from her, a blue and a black, and they're excellent. But, she ordered hatching eggs, not sure where from, and this little bantam was having a tough time being the only little guy in a group of standards. The egg was marked "Silkie", thats all I know.

I am thinking it may likely be a cross breed then. It happens a lot with ordered eggs from what I hear.
Would be nice to see a pic of the little popcorn.

Best I could do for now; it ran through the water dish and wound up bedraggled, usually much fluffier. This chick does not stop moving, and when it does its only because its hiding behind someone else. Meanwhile the silkie is striking a pose. "Look at me, I'm fabulous!"

What an interesting little chick that is. Not real silkie like and not real any other breed like. Is the greenish hue to the feet in normal lighting or is it from the pic only?

If normal lighting that lends another twist to things. Very light feathering on them there little legs too.
Parts look EE, parts look JG or BA and still parts look kind of silkie like. This one will be interesting to watch grow.

Thanks for posting the pic. Sorry I cannot nail down a breed for you.

Back
Top Bottom