lets see the "ugly" coops plz

Thanks, but this is just temporary. I'm stocking up on 12ft long 4x4s and pallet slats. It's gonna take a few months to get everything I need, but I think my coop will look good when I'm done.

Here is ours, its made of 100% recycled wood. We spent less than $50, we only bought nails, a woodcutter, and $11 on reclaimed lumber.

Finally! I find a "My Coop" thread I won't feel so ashamed to post in!
lau.gif

My coop is basically a recycled, refurbished and expanded dog house that is situated inside two chain-link kennels that are bolted together around it.

I have the two door sections overlapped and fenced off, creating an 'alcove' that makes it 'escape proof' (my tenants had allowed all my birds to escape while I was on my cross country ride, so when I expanded the run I made sure that would not happen again).

Last edited:
More picks of my ugly coop...

The run. The entire 200 Ft2 (est.) enclosure is roofed with 2"x4" welded wire, which keeps the chickens in and potential winged predators out.

A tarp on top of the 10'x10' section provides shade, rain/snow protection and collects water. 0.16" of rain will fill both 5 gallon buckets.

The screen on the top of the collection bucket helps to keep tree litter out of their water. A siphon connects the two buckets with a tap to draw off the collected water.

I plan on building a removable screen so I can temporarily partition off this section for brooding/introducing new birds.

My original roost. Do you want to hear your chickens laugh? Show them your design concepts!

The new one. Hopefully they will take to it rather than spending their nights all on the roof!

Last edited:
Here is what i have going on .. We got the basic shell of this coop from a neighbor, you might be able to see old wood compared to newer wood .. It was just a frame with wire on it , nothing else .. we are new to this.. about 1 year in .. water never froze last winter .. the plexiglass came from big screen TV's .. also a double hung window for a part of the bottom skirting and the back bottom is a glass screen door laying sideways .. really keeps out all elements and acts like a solar box . gets toasty in there .. The dust bath box area , again .. like the coop, remained dry

Here's a pic of the coop I've dubbed as the "Red Neck Chicken Coop!" I bought this thing after seeing it on Craigslist which looked good in the picture (it was side view!) and had it delivered without personally seeing it in person. (We didn't have a way to transport it & the seller offered to bring it to me which I thought was a great deal until I relized it needed a lot of work!) We've removed the the "windows" and replaced with better plywood as well the lid to the nesting boxes. You can't see the side doors, but we had to replace them as well. I won't even mention how much we paid initially for this or how much we're sinking into it to get it fixed up. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to cover (or seal) gaps?? There are several places where the wood doesn't meet correctly & there are gaps which will let in drafts, snow, water, etc. Not to mention the roof doesn't overlap & there is gap in the roof!! Any suggestions as to how to fix??

sillyovrsilkies

Chickencoop.jpg
would you mind emailing me this pic. [email protected]. I want to build it in my yard.

Back
Top Bottom