Let's share our chicken decor!

Two new ornaments for my chicken themed Christmas Tree:

Those are beautiful sunflour! Are they glass?

So earlier today as I was sitting with the chickens a pair of chickadees thought about trying to snag some chicken feed. They must have been really hungry because I was sitting right there and the birds were still eating. Even though chickadees are fairly tame that's still pretty unusual so I thought I better put up my suet basket for them. Only problem was that the basket was missing. So in tractor supply I decided to grab a new one. Then I spotted this guy and he came home with me:

I like your suet cake feeder! You could get another one and fill it with treats for your chickens
big_smile.png

Those are very nice, are you saying you have a tree full of chickens?
Not yet, but getting there. LOL. It has chicken stockings, first egg ornaments, and assorted chicken ornaments & other things to fill it in.

Here's link to some of the others - I posted those pics last year when I started the chicken themed tree.
post #5

So earlier today as I was sitting with the chickens a pair of chickadees thought about trying to snag some chicken feed. They must have been really hungry because I was sitting right there and the birds were still eating. Even though chickadees are fairly tame that's still pretty unusual so I thought I better put up my suet basket for them. Only problem was that the basket was missing. So in tractor supply I decided to grab a new one. Then I spotted this guy and he came home with me:

I love this suet feeder, they had one at our local store but it was broken :( I do have plain suet feeders for my flock, they love the suet.

Last edited:
Not yet, but getting there. LOL. It has chicken stockings, first egg ornaments, and assorted chicken ornaments & other things to fill it in.

I love this suet feeder, they had one at our local store but it was broken :( I do have plain suet feeders for my flock, they love the suet.

So you give your girls regular suet cakes, like the ones wild birds eat? I've thought of that but wasn't sure if it was ok.

I have 2 of the regular suet feeders (the green plastic coated ones) and put homemade flock block and lettuce or apple pieces in it.

So you give your girls regular suet cakes, like the ones wild birds eat? I've thought of that but wasn't sure if it was ok.

I have 2 of the regular suet feeders (the green plastic coated ones) and put homemade flock block and lettuce or apple pieces in it.
I buy chicken suet at Tractor Supply - they carry 2 types. But bet they like the homemade flock blocks better - I only made those once and they ate them too fast.

Also I hang 2 suet feeders for wild birds in the Winter in their regular feeder areas. Never tried those types for my hens, but bet they would like them.

Have started buying a type of wild bird seed for scattered treats in the run and the hens love those.

I've had fairly good luck with the homemade flock block but it just doesn't get as hard as I'd like it. I'd like it better if the girls had to "work" on it longer. The last batch I made up tuned moldy before I could give it all to them, that was disappointing. Probably my bad, maybe it wasn't as dry as it should have been before I packaged it up for storage.

I've had fairly good luck with the homemade flock block but it just doesn't get as hard as I'd like it. I'd like it better if the girls had to "work" on it longer. The last batch I made up tuned moldy before I could give it all to them, that was disappointing. Probably my bad, maybe it wasn't as dry as it should have been before I packaged it up for storage.
I know what you mean, the only ones I made fell apart too easily and they didn't have to even peck to eat them.

Try making them smaller and refrigerate or freeze til needed?

I know what you mean, the only ones I made fell apart too easily and they didn't have to even peck to eat them.

Try making them smaller and refrigerate or freeze til needed?

Freezing them might be a good way to go. Thanks sunflour...it sure is helpful to have smart friends!
big_smile.png

Wanted to share some art and the story of how I got it :).

I had been looking for an old print of the Last Supper for quite a few months when I stumbled upon one on ebay for $9.99. I liked that it had all the diciples names around the table cloth so I bought it.

The frame it arrived in was a shambles so I took it out to re-frame. In doing so I found this gem behind the print.

It looked pretty old and had a newsprint type backing with date, artist, etc. So I got curious and researched it. Turns out it's an old chromolithograph from the 1800's titled A Group Of Quail by Louis Prang and is valued at $600 +! To me it's a priceless gift from up above. Since then I've found one more similar litho.

Hope everyone has a wonderful Christmas!

Back
Top Bottom