Let's talk Cuckoo and WHITE marans... breeding strategies...

Cuckoo roo #1 (my favorite)
:)

Cuckoo roo #2

What do u guys think of them so far? They're still young I know but what are some good qualities and flaws they have? Roo #2 is more dominant over roo #1 and is crowing already. He is also larger with a wider back. Roo #1 still holds his tail down as he acts a little more submissive for now. I do prefer the coloring and pattern on roo #1 though. :)

Hi kfelton0002 your silver cuckoo cockerels are stunning .number 1 is far a way can t really see him properly.
cockerel 2 pure silver
good body carriage .
nice long tilted back
well position tail right angle right size too.
nice tuck in tight wings.not dropy.
excellent organic barring .
well feathered shank nice colour too not dark.not too tall either .
nice miduim long neck well thick.
excellent thick head.
gorgeous eyes for his age.
nice comb .
solid not too long beak ,nice clear colour

OK WHAT his missing?
need more depth on the chest ( has to be wide from the front and @ shoulders )
a little fluffy around the thigh .

Need to take a picture of his; from the front and the back so we can see his leg how positioned are they and if they are strait.
picture of his back from the top
picture from the back to see the width .

over all he ve got a lot good thing he need to be put with a couples of nice hens separet and let him mature as a gentlecoq and he doesn t loose his comb in a fight with other cockerels

hope that help

Chooks man

Hi kfelton0002 your silver cuckoo cockerels are stunning .number 1 is far a way can t really see him properly.
cockerel 2 pure silver
good body carriage .
nice long tilted back
well position tail right angle right size too.
nice tuck in tight wings.not dropy.
excellent organic barring .
well feathered shank nice colour too not dark.not too tall either .
nice miduim long neck well thick.
excellent thick head.
gorgeous eyes for his age.
nice comb .
solid not too long beak ,nice clear colour

OK WHAT his missing?
need more depth on the chest ( has to be wide from the front and @ shoulders )
a little fluffy around the thigh .

Need to take a picture of his; from the front and the back so we can see his leg how positioned are they and if they are strait.
picture of his back from the top
picture from the back to see the width .

over all he ve got a lot good thing he need to be put with a couples of nice hens separet and let him mature as a gentlecoq and he doesn t loose his comb in a fight with other cockerels

hope that help

Chooks man

Thanks! I will try to get better pics this weekend. I only hope he is carrying dark egg genes. I guess only test mating him will tell. I had to pen them up because the roos were starting to buck up and fight with my husbands game hens and cocks in pens. Roo #2 is definitely top dog and a hand full. Lol

Hi Kfelton0002. Roo#2 if he s a top dog that good .so he can look after him self and his hen s. you will get a better fertility from a dominant Roo.
What egg colour did he hatch from?
To darken the eggs you need to breed a cockerels line bred specifically for dark eggs colour trait .from this line you will pick your future roosters.

I work with a cockerels lines like I said .and I breed a pullets line bred for type, body colour type and eggs production.

when this 2 line are established ( bred true ) than I ll merge the 2 lines to create my line.

good like with your breeding .
Take a lot not and picture ,will help you in the future is a good tool in breeding. Observe your chooks ,watch every move . more you know then better will get in breeding. because you will see they trait passed down to they progeny and you will be able to spot them.

chooks man

Hi Kfelton0002. Roo#2 if he s a top dog that good .so he can look after him self and his hen s. you will get a better fertility from a dominant Roo.
What egg colour did he hatch from?
To darken the eggs you need to breed a cockerels line bred specifically for dark eggs colour trait .from this line you will pick your future roosters.

I work with a cockerels lines like I said .and I breed a pullets line bred for type, body colour type and eggs production.

when this 2 line are established ( bred true ) than I ll merge the 2 lines to create my line.

good like with your breeding .
Take a lot not and picture ,will help you in the future is a good tool in breeding. Observe your chooks ,watch every move . more you know then better will get in breeding. because you will see they trait passed down to they progeny and you will be able to spot them.

chooks man
So you definitely would breed the better looking roo to the 2 pullets I have even though I don't know what color egg he hatched from? And then would I only set the darkest eggs of the darkest laying pullet? Then maybe take a cockerel from that breeding and put him over the other pullet? Is that how to go about it? Should I test mate the 2 roos or just breed the roo with the best type and all that? So far the bigger top dog roo has a perfect looking 5 point comb, the other only looks to have 4 points and it is on the small side. The top dog roo just looks to be a better candidate for breeding even if I don't know what color egg he hatched from.

yeah i ll breed the good looking one the top dog.and like you said try to hatch only the darkest possible eggs.
if you can test mate them that will be great,more you know them a better result you will get from them.

take a close photos of the smallest roo I want to see what he has to bring to the breeding table.

all the best
Chooks man

Back
Top Bottom