Let's talk Cuckoo and WHITE marans... breeding strategies...

A barred hen has only 1 copy of the barred gene that is y they are darker than the barred roosters... if bred to a none barred rooster all hens will not be barred and all roosters will have 1 copy of the gene and will be a darker color like there mom...

a barred rooster that has 2 copies of the barred gene is a lighter color... if bred to none barred hens all hens will have 1 copy of the barred gene and will be "pure" for barring as they can only have 1 copy... the roosters will be none barred... NO A rooster with 2 copies of the barring gens as they should have will pass the barring off to 100% of the chicks. If the hen from this cross is solid the roos from this cross will have only one copy. All the pullet will have 1 copy like they should

if u use a rooster that has one barring gene over a none barred hen u will get 50% barred hens and 50% none barred hens and none barred males...
See below for the correct %
if u breed a single barred rooster to a barred hen all the hens will be barred and 50% of the roosters will be single barred and 50% will be double barred...
See below for the correct %
so yes assuming your GC are based on BC if u use a BC hen under a GC rooster there daughters would be "pure" GC...
Quote: If you use a roo with 1 Copy of barring over a solid hen you get 25% barred pullets 25% Solid Pullets and 25% Barred Roos with one copy and 25% Solid Roos

If you use a single barred roo with a barred hen you get 25% barred pullets 25% solid pullets and 25% roos with one copy and 25% with 2 copies.

The HEN CAN NOT PASS any Barring to pullets..... all pullet barring comes from the ROO.

Barred roos will pass barring to ALL off spring pullet and roo. Single barred roos will only pass to 50% of each gender of chicks.

Last edited:
u are correct... idk what i was thinking... i guess i am just tiered i will have 80+ hours this week by 6am when i get of work lol... sry...
If you use a roo with 1 Copy of barring over a solid hen you get 25% barred pullets 25% Solid Pullets and 25% Barred Roos with one copy and 25% Solid Roos

If you use a single barred roo with a barred hen you get 25% barred pullets 25% solid pullets and 25% roos with one copy and 25% with 2 copies.

The HEN CAN NOT PASS any Barring to pullets..... all pullet barring comes from the ROO.

Barred roos will pass barring to ALL off spring pullet and roo. Single barred roos will only pass to 50% of each gender of chicks.

u are correct... idk what i was thinking... i guess i am just tiered i will have 80+ hours this week by 6am when i get of work lol... sry...
Quote:
I too need to go to bed too.... 80 hours would KILL me.... couldn't do it wouldn't do it
sickbyc.gif
Good Night!

Thanks for the replys.

but my question is not about sex-linked barring. I think I have a handle on that- my question was just will the females of the crossing of a golden cuckoo marans and black copper marans be considered "pure bred" of one or the other breeds.

the males wouldn't be because they will always be heterozygous for the barring gene (B/b+)

I guess another way to word the question are there genes that a golden cuckoo carries that a black copper doesn't (other than the barring) or the other way around

or another way to say it: is a golden cuckoo simply a BCM with a barring gene?

and it seems heritagehabitfarm answered that as a "yes" that they are the same just the golden cuckoos have the barring gene

Last edited:
I'm wondering if the golden cuckoos carry a birchen gene as well which gives them the lighter hackle feathers???

I know we are not supposed to breed cuckoos that look like birchens. I think they are supposed to look more like a BR with nice even barring all over.

If you use a roo with 1 Copy of barring over a solid hen you get 25% barred pullets 25% Solid Pullets and 25% Barred Roos with one copy and 25% Solid Roos

if you are dividing the progeny into sex. then its 50% of all pullets will be Barred(with the single barred male) and 50% of all pullets will be solid black..

Thanks for the replys.

but my question is not about sex-linked barring. I think I have a handle on that- my question was just will the females of the crossing of a golden cuckoo marans and black copper marans be considered "pure bred" of one or the other breeds.

the males wouldn't be because they will always be heterozygous for the barring gene (B/b+)

I guess another way to word the question are there genes that a golden cuckoo carries that a black copper doesn't (other than the barring) or the other way around

or another way to say it: is a golden cuckoo simply a BCM with a barring gene?

and it seems heritagehabitfarm answered that as a "yes" that they are the same just the golden cuckoos have the barring gene
a Golden cuckoo is just a Black Copper with the Barring gene.. this makes them Autosexing at hatch

I'm wondering if the golden cuckoos carry a birchen gene as well which gives them the lighter hackle feathers???
Golden Cuckoos and Black Copper and Birchen maran, all of them carry the Birchen(ER) e allele. Cuckoo Maran Carry Extended Black(E) e allele instead, both produce black chick down(or blue when the blue gene is pressent)

Back
Top Bottom