Let's talk Cuckoo and WHITE marans... breeding strategies...

Does anyone know if the GCM Standard is going to go toward the lighter or darker roos? I have both and wish I knew which way to head from here.

any opinions?
I don't know of any GCM standard being worked on yet but I am guessing that they will be more like the ones on this website: http://frenchmaransclubaustralia.yolasite.com/notes-on-breeding.php

Most of the ones here in the US that I have seen are more like the lighter looking Braden line of GCM. I have a few pairs of GCM from the Braden line. I am breeding my cuckoos toward the darker GCM now, even though I also kinda like the lighter birds.

I don't know of any GCM standard being worked on yet but I am guessing that they will be more like the ones on this website: http://frenchmaransclubaustralia.yolasite.com/notes-on-breeding.php

Most of the ones here in the US that I have seen are more like the lighter looking Braden line of GCM. I have a few pairs of GCM from the Braden line. I am breeding my cuckoos toward the darker GCM now, even though I also kinda like the lighter birds.
I'm guessing it will be awhile before they get to GCM since the regular cuckoo is just being worked on.

We had 4 cuckoo chicks hatch out and they are about a week old, we figured we would be able to tell them apart easy enough based on their leg feathers- not- we ended up using the same color zip tie for 3 of them as we did for the Andalusian chicks that were on the same rack...lol One chick hatched after everyone was removed from the incubator so we know that it is a cuckoo for sure. They do have some light spotting on their heads but we want to make sure who is who before removing the zip tie bands as we are tracking the Andalusian chicks based on the rooster in each pen.

===================
Well they need to decide on a locus first, don't they? Aren't Golden Cuckoo presently being made on 2 different locuses? ER and eWh?
Isn't that the reason for the "darker" and "lighter" birds?
Best,
Karen

Last edited:
Ok So how come I have some chicks that are brown and some that are black almost like a regular cuckoo chick? I ordered 8 Golden cuckoos from The Fancy Chick and she sent me 14!! Any how I have 7 that are black or dark gray that look like regular cuckoo and some that definitely look like the male chicks and then a few that are almost a chocolate brown color. I'll try and get some pictures but with 4 kids and a 9 month old baby, over 100 chickens, 2 cows, 4 cats and a dog... I don't have a lot of free time these days!
thats because they are autosexing.. the "Brown" looking chicks are females(that is if they are pure for the ER/ER e allele)

Back
Top Bottom