Let's talk Cuckoo and WHITE marans... breeding strategies...

Hi, your hen looks like she has carrying birchen, did you notice the lacing on her hackle feathers? Her pattern is also affected by it. I am not picking on her but using her as an example of one that has been crossed. That is how you can darken their eggs is by crossing them to a birchen, funny enough you get the silver birchen from a silver cuckoo but you have to have a silver cuckoo to get a silver birchen!

This is a great example of what a cuckoo hen should look like. It is from the Marans Uk site so of course she has clean legs!

Notice how she is dark and uniform all over with no trim or highlights in the hackle. Her pattern is consistent but the bars do not line up like a barred rock.This is what a black based or E/E hen with the barring gene should look like.

This pair in my opinion is just beautiful especially the roo.
P4032665.jpg

The males also need to be uniform in pattern and color from head to toe.

These are Silver cuckoo notice the hackles of the hens are almost birchen like and the roo is almost white in his hackle and pyle. These are carrying the birchen gene or ER/ER
Silver%20Cuckoo.JPG

When you cross the two you get something similar to your hen in the picture. The roos will also have the lighter hackels and can also show the metallic sheen in their dark bars.
I am trying to get this all straight: cuckoo's are NOT supposed to have Er/Er genotype. E/E is preferred? Is this for silver cuckoos only or golden cuckoo as well. My understanding is that BCMs (not cuckoo) are usually Er/Er genotype. So does this mean you cannot cross a golden cuckoo and a BCM and get females that are true BCM or golden cuckoos? (depending on who is the roo and who is the hen in the cross)

The Golden cuckoo would be ER/ER based in order to get the gold in the hackles and pyle. If you cross BC and Cuckoo enough you also get cream cuckoo and if you hatch a WHOLE bunch you get a very rare Silver cuckoo. It is the Silver cuckoos that are bred to BC to get the Silver Birchen. It isn't quite as easy as all that you have to cross back a few times.

The best looking and most correct cuckoo are EE based. It keeps the metallic sheen from appearing and the highlights in the hackles like the pullet in KIAN's picture.

Bev Davis is using Golden Salmon for a Crele line, those will be just stunning. I can't wait to see them!!

Any variety being worked on should be breeding true and at least 5 generations deep before it can really be considered. I think it is unethical to sell them any sooner.

-Nicol

I am trying to get this all straight: cuckoo's are NOT supposed to have Er/Er genotype. E/E is preferred? Is this for silver cuckoos only or golden cuckoo as well. My understanding is that BCMs (not cuckoo) are usually Er/Er genotype. So does this mean you cannot cross a golden cuckoo and a BCM and get females that are true BCM or golden cuckoos? (depending on who is the roo and who is the hen in the cross)
If you scroll to the bottom of this page it explains it better than I can. http://frenchmaransclubaustralia.yolasite.com/notes-on-breeding.php

You can get them back to pure BUT unless you have excellent egg color with the cuckoo you would be losing it the whole time with your coppers.

Last edited:
Hi All, Anyone working with the White Marans ? When were they talking about having a meet for them, does anyone have an idea.
There are quite a few people working on them. I have two lines going.

The Qualifying meet will be in December 2013 in Shawnee Oklahoma.

There are quite a few people working on them. I have two lines going.

The Qualifying meet will be in December 2013 in Shawnee Oklahoma.
Nicol, Do you think there are 50 good whites that conform to the SOp. I believe there are more Cuckoo that conform than there are white. shawnee is a long way for the East Coast.

Nicol, Do you think there are 50 good whites that conform to the SOp. I believe there are more Cuckoo that conform than there are white. shawnee is a long way for the East Coast.
There were A LOT of really nice whites at the Newnan show. The reason Shawnee was chosen is because it is closer to the breeders that have been showing them quite a bit. They are also the ones that brought the majority of the birds to GA. I don't think there are enough this way to make a good qualifier for them.

The club is trying to make it so that the Qualifying meets and National meets are spread so that it is easier for everyone to try to make it to one once in a while. I believe that the Ohio may be chosen for 2014 National meet which COULD be a qualifying meet or at least a Pre-Qualifying meet for the Black Marans.

If anyone is interested here are the Newnan numbers..
Total marans entered = 232
Total marans exhibited = 195
Cuckoo
K - 5
C - 6
H - 2
P - 18
Total = 31

Wheaten
K - 5
C - 0
H - 10
P - 8
Total = 23

BTB
P - 1
Total = 1

Lavendar
K - 1
P - 1
Total = 2

Birchen
K - 4
H - 1
P - 5
Total = 10

Copper Blue/Blue Copper =)
K - 2
C - 5
H - 3
P - 6
Total = 16

Blue
P - 3
Total = 3

Black
K - 2
C - 0
H - 4
P - 19
Total = 25

Blue Wheaten
K - 1
H - 3
P - 3
Total = 7

Splash
H - 1
Total = 1

White
K - 8
C - 7
H - 8
P - 16
Total = 39

BCM
K - 13
C - 9
H - 13
P - 12
Total = 48

it would be nice to see pic's and know who else is working on the Lav's... i was not aware that the 2013 Shawnee show was for White's and Cuckoo's i had so far only heard about the Cuckoo's...

Back
Top Bottom