Let's talk Cuckoo and WHITE marans... breeding strategies...

So far, I'm very happy with my project golden cuckoo marans. I have a couple years or so to get them where I want them to be, of course. I've never worked with the cuckoo pattern before so this is fun for me. Here's a few in my grow out pen along with some BCM and BTB.

are you at the "Autosexing" stage yet? this is only possible if the male is double barred, meaning if it has two copies of the sex linked barring gene

So far, I'm very happy with my project golden cuckoo marans. I have a couple years or so to get them where I want them to be, of course. I've never worked with the cuckoo pattern before so this is fun for me. Here's a few in my grow out pen along with some BCM and BTB.

Are you using BTB or BC to make them? I have some that are supposed to be BC x CU but apparently the BC were carrying wheaten like so many WJ lines do. She looks similar to yours she also has color in her wings and they are even separated dark with specks / white kind of like a wheaten hen would be like.

are you at the "Autosexing" stage yet? this is only possible if the male is double barred, meaning if it has two copies of the sex linked barring gene
No, I'm not at the autosexing stage yet. The male I'm using for this season is double barred but I'm using non-barred hens in this generation because they have excellent body type, size, and egg color. I don't like small marans. I'll take the best of the daughters and put back onto my starter male for the next generation and will have auto-sexing chicks at that point out of that group. Going further, I have a mature single barred male that has better type/size than my double barred male to use as well so I'll eventually be running two separate lines and won't bring in any additional stock at that point. I have a plan, it's just going to be a lot of work.
smile.png

And just to tease...I found these pictures on the French Forum...

THAT IS WHAT I WANT MINE TO LOOK LIKE!!!

Are you using BTB or BC to make them? I have some that are supposed to be BC x CU but apparently the BC were carrying wheaten like so many WJ lines do. She looks similar to yours she also has color in her wings and they are even separated dark with specks / white kind of like a wheaten hen would be like.

No wheaten. Mine are ER/ER based birds.

One of my females looks very similar to these and has feathered shanks. My males don't, unfortunately, lol. They are still too light. I need to set some more gc eggs soon. I am trying to decide whether to mate that particular female to the light GC males I have or regular cuckoo or BCM......

One of my females looks very similar to these and has feathered shanks. My males don't, unfortunately, lol. They are still too light. I need to set some more gc eggs soon. I am trying to decide whether to mate that particular female to the light GC males I have or regular cuckoo or BCM......
I would breed her back to BCM You should get the deeper reddish color in the roos then plus if your BC has good feathers it will help improve it in the offspring. (+egg color)

No, I'm not at the autosexing stage yet. The male I'm using for this season is double barred but I'm using non-barred hens in this generation because they have excellent body type, size, and egg color. I don't like small marans. I'll take the best of the daughters and put back onto my starter male for the next generation and will have auto-sexing chicks at that point out of that group. Going further, I have a mature single barred male that has better type/size than my double barred male to use as well so I'll eventually be running two separate lines and won't bring in any additional stock at that point. I have a plan, it's just going to be a lot of work.
smile.png
wow that sounds like a nice genetic plan. keep us updated on these autosexing maran jewels

love.gif

So how do we get ours over here to look like this? Mine already are way lighter and they're only like 10 or 12 weeks old. Do we breed back to BCM?? BTW Thanks for your comments on my birds a few pages back, I really appreciate it!

This is the single barred male I'm going to use down the line to increase size and add some depth to my color. He's a chunk of a boy and doesn't have any white in his tail feathers.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom