Let's talk Cuckoo and WHITE marans... breeding strategies...

I was not talking about the Orp Roo. All I know is Cuckoo Marans are SILVER Based or they SHOULD BE but they are not Silver Cuckoos.... just Cuckoos.

I know 2 different breeders who have Cuckoos who use them to clean out the brassiness in there Whites. they use them cause they have Silver. My friend who has White Rocks said to me his White Rocks when taken to my White Orps will not throw a brassy bird. Because it is a Silver. So MAYBE your Cuckoo Marans do not have Silver. But this does. And we will find out won't we?

Quote: Pretty sure Cuckoo Marans are silver...... even mine. They are just not CALLED SILVER CUCKOOS.... Just called Cuckoos. If they are accepted in the SOP the name will be CUCKOO Marans.

hu.gif
I was not attaching you or your birds... just trying to clarify the language used.
hide.gif
I would use silver to clean up gold too.

Pretty sure Cuckoo Marans are silver...... even mine. They are just not CALLED SILVER CUCKOOS.... Just called Cuckoos. If they are accepted in the SOP the name will be CUCKOO Marans.

hu.gif
I was not attaching you or your birds... just trying to clarify the language used.
hide.gif

The pullet's grand dad was a Silver Birchen clean leg Marans. She also has some of the gene I made when I crossed a Akers Buff Orp onto a Meyer hatchery mutt mix that had Black Australorp/Ameraucana that had the bantam gene hidden. Possible outcome from that breeding seems to be limitless. I have made with that line Dun, Silver Duckwing (her mom), Brown/Red, when taken to a Blue I made a Lemon Blue. These are Orps I am talking about. There is exhibition Black line in addition to her make up. That I took to a Cuckoo line that had similar blood and made a Rosecomb bantam Cuckoo. All mixed in the 25% that is not Marans. The cock is her dad. So, the possibility of making a Dun with this pattern could be interesting.

Last edited:
I just remembered something last night. I have never posted the Bantam Marans standard on here. They were ABA accepted way before the LF marans were even popular in the US.

They also had 4 varieties approved, Black, Standard Cuckoo, Silver Cuckoo, and Golden Cuckoo..

Maran Varieties
(not printed in current 2006 Bantam Standard)

BARRED AS IN GOLDEN CUCKOO PLUMAGE

Color of Male​
HEAD: Finely barred with golden and black bars.
NECK: Hackle -- bluish gray with lustrous golden and black bars. Front of neck -- pale golden, golden and black bars.
BACK: Bluish gray with lustrous golden and black bars, golden fringe permitted.
TAIL: Main Tail -- dark blue gray barred with black. Sickles, Lesser Sickles and coverts -- dark blue gray barred with lustrous black.
WINGS: Shoulder, Fronts and Bows -- bluish gray with golden and black bars; golden fringe permissible. Coverts -- bluish grey with black bars, golden fringe permissible, forming two distinct bars across wings. Primaries -- dark blue gray, lightly barred. Secondaries -- dark blue gray, lightly barred with slight golden fringe.
BREAST: Bluish gray with black bars, pale golden shading on upper part.
BODY & STERN: Body -- bluish gray with black bars. Lower thighs -- bluish gray with medium black barring. Stern -- fluff, same as lower thighs.

Color of Female​
HEAD: Finely barred with golden and black bars.
NECK & HACKLE: Medium bluish gray with golden and black bars.
BACK & CUSHION: Dark bluish grey with black bars.
BREAST: Dark bluish grey with black bars, pale golden shading on upper part.
REMAINDER OF PLUMAGE: Dark bluish grey with black bars.

BARRED AS IN SILVER CUCKOO PLUMAGE

Color of Male​
HEAD: White.
NECK: Hackle -- lustrous silvery white. Front of neck -- white.
BACK & SADDLE: Lustrous silvery white.
BREAST: Upper part white, lower part barred.
REMAINDER OF PLUMAGE: Bluish white. Each feather barred across with irregular light and dark bars, the lighter ground color appearing considerably lighter than the normal cuckoo color pattern. The light and dark bars should be nearly equal in width and extend throughout the length of the feathers. Each feather should end in a narrow dark bar. The bars should continue through the shaft of the feather into the under fluff. Barring of male sickles and lesser sickles should be slightly V-shaped.

Color of Female​
HEAD: White
NECK & HACKLE: White with some tendency toward barring.
BREAST: Upper part white, lower part barred.
REMAINDER OF PLUMAGE: Barred throughout, with lighter greound color than the dark cuckoo.

Ok, I am pretty new to the whole chicken thing. I got this rooster of of CraigsList, I was told (and assume by pictures I have looked at) that he is indeed a Golden Cuckoo Marans. I was just wondering what other people thought of him. Is he 'correct'? Sorry if this isn't the right place for this question.

Ok, I am pretty new to the whole chicken thing. I got this rooster of of CraigsList, I was told (and assume by pictures I have looked at) that he is indeed a Golden Cuckoo Marans. I was just wondering what other people thought of him. Is he 'correct'? Sorry if this isn't the right place for this question.
He is very handsome! His tail is a little too high and long in length but I love his colors.

He is carrying Wheaten you can see that by his wing tip being colored I believe he is single barred as well. Still a nice rooster. :)

Pretty sure Cuckoo Marans are silver...... even mine. They are just not CALLED SILVER CUCKOOS.... Just called Cuckoos. If they are accepted in the SOP the name will be CUCKOO Marans.

hu.gif
hide.gif
while most Cuckoo/Barred birds are infact Silver, some can carry Gold and there is no way to know about it because its hidden under Extended black

He is very handsome! His tail is a little too high and long in length but I love his colors.

He is carrying Wheaten you can see that by his wing tip being colored I believe he is single barred as well. Still a nice rooster. :)
while the closest thing to a Wildtype(gold duck wing) looking males in the Maran world is the Wheaten type, any of the following birds could also give you wildtype looking males, eb(as in partridge wyandotte rooster) e+(as in Black Breasted Red OEG) and ofcourse the eWh(as in wheaten marans) I agree that he does not look to be baseed on the Birchen(ER as Birchen or Black copper marans) e allele like correct colored "golden cuckoo" maran. and I also agree he looks to carry heterozygous barring(one copy makes for dark colored creles and two copies make a light colored crele males)

Quote:
very cool... I think he is quite handsome and would welcome him in my flock. I have been looking at pictures of "correct" golden cuckoos and they are not visually very appealing to me personally... the overall color seems just plain muddy... this guy is pretty awesome. I might add wheaten just to see if I can reproduce this.

Back
Top Bottom