Let's talk Cuckoo and WHITE marans... breeding strategies...

SPRINGTIME!!

That was a 46 out of 48 set hatch of cuckoo, BC bantam marans and Shamo from the little pink eggs.

BC bantam chick by her LF hatchmate!

I also had this little oddball. I am thinking he is from the birchen x cuckoo hen I have. I messed up and didn't get the eggs separated because I forgot to mark them when I set them!

Here are two pullets a bantam and a LF

And a group photo!!

How long did it take for all of them to hatch?

Quote: 21 days
gig.gif
sorry I couldn't resist
gig.gif

Quote: 21 days
gig.gif
sorry I couldn't resist
gig.gif

You know I thought someone was going to say that
lau.gif
I was going to reword it but I figured let it ride he he he.

But the reason I am asking is I get my eggs to the hatcher and then they just hatch weird or not at all. I had 2 hatch over 24 hrs ago now I have 4 more hatching and I still have at least 15 more eggs now on 22 days. They were all alive on lockdown. If anything all three turkeys are hatching 2 days EARLY. Humidity fluxes between 63-70 temp has been steady the entire incubation and hatch. Last batch that this happened too it was my fault I had the humidity way higher but I have left this alone. Am I just too impatient? There is no sign that the other eggs are doing anything no rocking and rolling.

I guess maybe I should find a hatching eggs thread but either my post is looked over or no one answers me.

Here you go.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/569950/incubators-anonymous/5100_20#post_10870781

I think with shipped eggs anything goes. My BLRW hatch late every time from one pen and on time from the other pen. I do find my Marans hatch later than others for some reason. They are bigger eggs that may have something to do with it. Example my NH were out on day 20 all of them the Marans were still pipping and hatching late in the day on day 22. Once they pip it can take them 24 hours to hatch. It is not a temp thing since the other eggs hatch on time or early. It may be the urge to get out of the bigger eggs takes a little longer. My WL take a little longer too...... BUT they are bigger healthier chicks.

hu.gif

Thank you so much for the comments. You were very helpful. Since I don't have any 'golden' girls I was going to try and cross him with a regular cuckoo marans to see how much of his gold came out. Not sure how the egg color would be, I was told he came from a more 'reddish' type brown egg. I also have some whtite Marans that I got from MPC not sure what the outcome of that would be (still trying to learn about the whole gene thing) Here is a pick of one of the 'regular' Marans egg. Thanks again :)

Thank you so much for the comments. You were very helpful. Since I don't have any 'golden' girls I was going to try and cross him with a regular cuckoo marans to see how much of his gold came out.
if you want to have "Golden" cuckoo looking birds it would be best to cross the crele looking male to BCM hens.. this will produce "Golden" looking birds, including females

I don't have a BCM hen yet, but was planning on getting one. I will definitly try that cross :) Thank you nicalandia.

Hey I was wondering, if I used a cuckoo roo on a splash hen would I get blue barred hens and blue barred roos with one barred gene? I am just wondering because basically black x splash= 100% blue right?

This is really just a query as all my cuckoos are just chicks right now! Just wondering what I would get.

Also wondering how would you get better egg color in cuckoo marans if cuckoos are a work in progress? (DMRippy I mean no disrespect as the egg color is already awesome just trying to figure this whole thing out
hide.gif
) Like could I use a copper marans from a dark egg on the cuckoos but then how would that work with the coloring? I wasn't really fond of the Black or Blue copper. Right now I only have 2 splash hens and several cuckoos, blue and splash chicks with hopefully more on the way. I wasn't planning on getting any coppers but I will if I need one to get my egg color up.

I know I know I really need to buy the SOP book. I am a slacker
hide.gif

Here you go.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/569950/incubators-anonymous/5100_20#post_10870781

I think with shipped eggs anything goes. My BLRW hatch late every time from one pen and on time from the other pen. I do find my Marans hatch later than others for some reason. They are bigger eggs that may have something to do with it. Example my NH were out on day 20 all of them the Marans were still pipping and hatching late in the day on day 22. Once they pip it can take them 24 hours to hatch. It is not a temp thing since the other eggs hatch on time or early. It may be the urge to get out of the bigger eggs takes a little longer. My WL take a little longer too...... BUT they are bigger healthier chicks.

hu.gif

oh yeah thank you for this I almost gave up on my wheaten Marans, I am glad I didn't, 2 made it last night
wee.gif
!

Back
Top Bottom