Let's talk Cuckoo and WHITE marans... breeding strategies...

If you are talking about a male with a single copy of barring, I believe that the more copper-golden color is what you want. If a single barred male is kinda yellow then it could mean he has one copy of silver which isn't what you want breeding forward. For double barred males, all should be a lighter color in general but it should still be gold-copper, not yellowish......that's what I understand, anyway. I could be wrong. :)

I am talking about the golden coloring. I personally like the lighter golden because I would like to see it move away from the copper color that is associated with the black coppers.

I am talking about the golden coloring. I personally like the lighter golden because I would like to see it move away from the copper color that is associated with the black coppers.

I think you need a better pic of the lighter one. He doesn't look cream colored in person to me. I think cream would be like an ivory or off white kind of color.

I love the forum. I have a question. I have 4 cuckoo Marans . I know usually the rooster has double barring and hens have single barring. What is sought after more double or single? 2 of my hens have single barring. My other hen has double barring.

I love the forum. I have a question. I have 4 cuckoo Marans . I know usually the rooster has double barring and hens have single barring. What is sought after more double or single? 2 of my hens have single barring. My other hen has double barring.

Barring is a sex link trait. Hens can only have one copy. Roos should have 2 copies to breed true. It is attached to the Z and males are ZZ and females are ZW. This is how we make Sex Links using barred hens. They can only pass the barring to male offspring. Males with 2 copies pass it off to 100% of the chicks. That is how the pullets get the barring is from the roo. Roos get it from BOTH parents.

The Simple answer to the question about double barring is Roo are supposed to be double barred.

Last edited:

Here is a picture of the hen I was referring to. Thanks for clarifying . They are from eggs I hatched from DMRippy and the roo is from MrHeinz.

Last edited:

Here is a picture of the hen I was referring to. Thanks for clarifying . They are from eggs I hatched from DMRippy and the roo is from MrHeinz.
The hens are expressing BIRCHEN in the hackles. Maybe your roo is too. Can be harder to tell in males. I usually don't breed birchen cuckoo hens. That is not the desired look in Cuckoos. They should be evenly barred all over like barred rocks. I see a couple of cuckoo looking hens. The third pic down has 2 in the back ground. Your roo looks like he has some gold leakage too.

Back
Top Bottom