Let's talk Cuckoo and WHITE marans... breeding strategies...

Yes those are cuckoo also
The hens are expressing BIRCHEN in the hackles. Maybe your roo is too.  Can be harder to tell in males.  I usually don't breed birchen cuckoo hens.  That is not the desired look in Cuckoos.  They should be evenly barred all over like barred rocks.  I see a couple of cuckoo looking hens.  The third pic down has 2 in the back ground.  Your roo looks like he has some gold leakage too. 

I want to be clear I have had birchen looking hens in my pens last spring. They are not in the pens now. My roo may be carrying birchen and if he is I cull for it in the next generation. It has been a long time since I have had birchen looking pullets. I have some on Mr. Heinz birds too. ALL hens I have now that are birchen cuckoos are making me birchen pullets from my birchen roo. Glad I kept them since I don't have any birchen pullets yet...well I hatched a couple the other day YEAH! Lets see what they look like......

These are my Original Hens from Raven1 they are BLUE Cuckoo. They are in with the above roo now. They don't look birchen.

Those are good looking birds! I have a black copper Marans rooster what would the offspring of those be if crossed to cuckoo hens?
I want to be clear I have had birchen looking hens in my pens last spring. They are not in the pens now. My roo may be carrying birchen and if he is I cull for it in the next generation. It has been a long time since I have had birchen looking pullets. I have some on Mr. Heinz birds too. ALL hens I have now that are birchen cuckoos are making me birchen pullets from my birchen roo. Glad I kept them since I don't have any birchen pullets yet...well I hatched a couple the other day YEAH! Lets see what they look like...... These are my Original Hens from Raven1 they are BLUE Cuckoo. They are in with the above roo now. They don't look birchen.

Sex Links. Solid pullets (Should look like a Copper Marans) and Barred roos (mutts unless you want to start a Golden Cuckoo Project.... or is that Wheatens)

Thanks for your help. I have a lavender am with them also for an oe project. Being we were talking barring genetics of the cuckoo earlier roosters carry 2 genes, hence double barring. ( I know about the pea comb and blue egg gene. I know about the crossing to get an oe. I have a couple.)Any ways back to what I was getting asking the chicks will or will not be sex linked? Males look barred females will not? I was wanting to have lavender barred female oe ?? Anyways you guys are awesome I am understanding more now.

Last edited:
Now my mind is going on the golden cuckoo. Lol. My oldest son wanted some. Might be a good project for us to work on. So do you have or know of a breeding chart to do so? I have looked on line some but hard to find a definite chart. Will it go back to line breeding to achieve the color that is acceptable. I am still learning . So please do not mind all my ??? Thanks- Michael
It could have benefits if you know how to do it. 

Now my mind is going on the golden cuckoo. Lol. My oldest son wanted some. Might be a good project for us to work on. So do you have or know of a breeding chart to do so? I have looked on line some but hard to find a definite chart. Will it go back to line breeding to achieve the color that is acceptable. I am still learning . So please do not mind all my ??? Thanks- Michael
Quote: Here is a link there is LOTS of good info here and at the bottom a breeding chart for how to make golden cuckoos.

http://frenchmaransclubaustralia.yolasite.com/notes-on-breeding.php

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom