Let's talk Cuckoo and WHITE marans... breeding strategies...

I am sorry did not realize you were in Washington State, I would not ship eggs or chicks that far.

Good luck......

Kelly Powers

Pete Ovale is in CA you may want to google him. He is a board member of the Marans Club (VP I think)

He may have something or be able to refer you to someone more in your region.

I made it through THE WHOLE THREAD! Whew... So I have a dozen Cuckoo marans chicks, got them as day-olds on Feb 20th so they are almost 5 weeks now (I think I counted that right?). I'm pretty sure I have 3 roos and the rest girls after checking all the pics in this thread. I'm pretty new at the whole chicken thing, so any comments are much appreciated. I know they are young to tell anything about conformation & such, and I won't know how their egg color is for months. Still, how do they look?? (Prepare for Picspam!!)

Part of the group, I think there are 2 of the roos in this shot....some of the girls I think are almost too dark?? I know 5 weeks is pretty young to tell anything, but maybe it isn't? Like I said, I'm new at this.

This pullet is almost black, she does have bars, but very very dark overall, any chance she will lighten, or is this color not good?

The camera needed investigating. I think these are both pullets.

See what I mean about dark pullets? They all have some barring, though. The little roo here is my favorite one.

Pullets...

My favorite little roo again, his leg feathers are a little sparse compared to a lot of the pullets & even the other 2 roos, but he does have them all the way down. Maybe more will come in...

2 roos and a pullet, right?

HELP!!!

I need a cuckoo rooster! We are moving from NY to VT and while we were away moving the pigs goats and sheep we had a hawk attack back in NY. I lost my best cuckoo pair and my back up rooster, but still have lots of young hens from this pair.

He needs to be from dark egg lines and have feathered legs. I have worked for a few years on a line based on a hen from Presley lines, which I have new told were from Fugate lines , if I remember correctly.

If anyone knows anyone do let me know.

A dark egg French Golden Cuckoo would be a reasonable second choice.

I am happy to pay for him. I can also barter wheaten Ameraucana and Black Copper eggs or chicks.

Many thanks!
Bailey

I made it through THE WHOLE THREAD! Whew... So I have a dozen Cuckoo marans chicks, got them as day-olds on Feb 20th so they are almost 5 weeks now (I think I counted that right?). I'm pretty sure I have 3 roos and the rest girls after checking all the pics in this thread. I'm pretty new at the whole chicken thing, so any comments are much appreciated. I know they are young to tell anything about conformation & such, and I won't know how their egg color is for months. Still, how do they look?? (Prepare for Picspam!!)

Part of the group, I think there are 2 of the roos in this shot....some of the girls I think are almost too dark?? I know 5 weeks is pretty young to tell anything, but maybe it isn't? Like I said, I'm new at this.

This pullet is almost black, she does have bars, but very very dark overall, any chance she will lighten, or is this color not good?

The camera needed investigating. I think these are both pullets.

See what I mean about dark pullets? They all have some barring, though. The little roo here is my favorite one.

Pullets...

My favorite little roo again, his leg feathers are a little sparse compared to a lot of the pullets & even the other 2 roos, but he does have them all the way down. Maybe more will come in...

2 roos and a pullet, right?
Wow, these look familiar where did they come from??

The dark pullets are perfect except for the ones with white tips. I would cull them or not use for breeding.

nice chicks. :)

Last edited:
Where does a blue cuckoo Marans come from? Crossing a cuckoo roo over a blue Marans? Just wondering being I have a blue copper hen and cuckoos . Wondering what chicks will be .(Cuckoo roo)

Where does a blue cuckoo Marans come from? Crossing a cuckoo roo over a blue Marans? Just wondering being I have a blue copper hen and cuckoos . Wondering what chicks will be .(Cuckoo roo)
You will get blue golden cuckoo (kind of)

A real blue hen that is a dilute of a real E/E black would make a real blue cuckoo with a cuckoo male.You would have single bar males that are
B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L.

I made this guy maybe last year?

Last edited:

You could not use a Copper. I have blue cuckoos. I am sure there were crossed with a blue at some point but it was several generations before I got them.

If you make the cross I would not use any roos from that cross.

Thanks I was just wondering . I have a blue copper hen and cuckoo hens and only a cuckoo rooster . I was going to put her (blue copper hen)in with the cuckoos. Just wondering info hatched chicks if the hens would be blue cuckoo?? Thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom