Let's talk Cuckoo and WHITE marans... breeding strategies...

Quote:
ya.gif
I think I should receive my white marans eggs today, I looked at the tracking and they are only 1 hour away. Have you checked your tracking?

Quote:
Genetically correct cuckoos should breed true... meaning no whites at all. To get white, your roo has to carry recessive white, and one of your hens must carry it as well. In that case you have a one in four chance of a white, and a 50% chance of producing more carriers.

Hi

There was a breeder who tried to get the egg color darker in his white line so crossed them with his cuckoo birds. Unfortunately he didn't understand what happens when birds carrying recessive genes are placed back into his flock. We are getting a lot of chicks hatch now from birds carrying recessive genes not only in cuckoo but also in black coppers but from different breeders.

Bev

Quote:
ya.gif
I think I should receive my white marans eggs today, I looked at the tracking and they are only 1 hour away. Have you checked your tracking?

YEAH!! She is going to ship mine today so hopefully I will have them Thursday!

Quote:
Genetically correct cuckoos should breed true... meaning no whites at all. To get white, your roo has to carry recessive white, and one of your hens must carry it as well. In that case you have a one in four chance of a white, and a 50% chance of producing more carriers.

Hi

There was a breeder who tried to get the egg color darker in his white line so crossed them with his cuckoo birds. Unfortunately he didn't understand what happens when birds carrying recessive genes are placed back into his flock. We are getting a lot of chicks hatch now from birds carrying recessive genes not only in cuckoo but also in black coppers but from different breeders.

Bev

Thanks, that is great information
smile.png

Quote:

Hi

Bev

Thanks VC and Bev,
This helps explain the 2 white chicks that hatched from my shipped golden cuckoo marans eggs.

Quote:
ya.gif

YEAH!! She is going to ship mine today so hopefully I will have them Thursday!

I don't have mine yet. when I read the tracking it was in route from Utah to a town 1 hour from me so Maybe Tomorrow. well see, I'll let you know

Peggy Taylor and I bought a trio of White Marans about a month ago. They are really nice birds and have started back laying nice dark eggs on a regular basis. I have some that will move to the hatcher on Thursday evening and should start hatching on Sunday evening. I candled them last week and most of them looked good. I can hardly wait, but wait is what we must do.

I will let everyone know what we get after they hatch.

Ernie Haire
Arp, Texas

Quote:
Hi Ernie,

Did they come from John in PA? I think you have the father to mine if they did. If so he makes some really nice chicks!!

Lucky You!!

Quote:

Hi

Bev

I'll bet I know who that is.

Back
Top Bottom