Let's talk Cuckoo and WHITE marans... breeding strategies...

Quote:
Thank you I have never seen this pattern before so I love it. It is unique to me but of course I am not that experienced but hope I can get them to produce in kind.
Thanks Connie I am very excited about the Whites.
VC you don't think the "mottled" will give me mottled but will show me the make up of colors that are in them?

Well if they are mixed blue or splash cuckoo, with single barring gene, you will get some unbarred hens that show the true background color under the barring. I suspect they are mixed with wheaten, which doesn't "darken up" as easily as pure Birchen or Extended Black based cuckoo or blue cuckoo. If the chicks started out white then they are probably silver wheaten based hybrids. If you hatch enough, the at some point the genes will match back up and you will get the pure wheaten, some of them with cuckoo pattern, some without. You could end up with some interesting combinations but the chances of a really good one are slim, unless you hatch a ton of chicks. Kind of like winning the lottery. You could get a silver blue wheaten or something cool like that. I'm curious if you get that patchy blue pattern without the barring.

Wheaten probably came from any golden cuckoo blood that's in the mix. You definitely have splash or blue in there too, and they look like they are silver.

Last edited:
For those of you creating bantams here is a pic of my small blue marans hen. She looks bad right now because of a certain roo (not the gold cuckoo) that freeranges and grabs on to the girls heads to hold on so she's missing feathers. She lays a pretty dark egg kinda small like her lol.
Pic1 Here she is next to young ones that are around 4 mos old-some of the little cockerals are actually bigger than her- she is the bald one on the left lol.
45258_small_blue.jpg

Here she is next to a golden cuckoo roo (one I'm not using for breeding) that is about the same age as her. Wow his body is way bigger than hers. She is a lot shorter than him but the ground slopes up where she is standing. She wouldn't let him near her.
45258_blue_marans_hen.jpg

Last edited:
Well I got up this morning and I now have 3 White marans chicks and 5 more pips!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so excited and happy. I have been looking for and trying to be able to buy the Whites since I got my first Marans. I so hope the others hatch but so grateful for the 3. I will get more pics as soon as hatch is done.

Quote:
Thank you I have never seen this pattern before so I love it. It is unique to me but of course I am not that experienced but hope I can get them to produce in kind.
Thanks Connie I am very excited about the Whites.
VC you don't think the "mottled" will give me mottled but will show me the make up of colors that are in them?

Well if they are mixed blue or splash cuckoo, with single barring gene, you will get some unbarred hens that show the true background color under the barring. I suspect they are mixed with wheaten, which doesn't "darken up" as easily as pure Birchen or Extended Black based cuckoo or blue cuckoo. If the chicks started out white then they are probably silver wheaten based hybrids. If you hatch enough, the at some point the genes will match back up and you will get the pure wheaten, some of them with cuckoo pattern, some without. You could end up with some interesting combinations but the chances of a really good one are slim, unless you hatch a ton of chicks. Kind of like winning the lottery. You could get a silver blue wheaten or something cool like that. I'm curious if you get that patchy blue pattern without the barring.

Wheaten probably came from any golden cuckoo blood that's in the mix. You definitely have splash or blue in there too, and they look like they are silver.

VC the chicks hatch out either blue or very light cuckoo looking, this hatch I have one that is black and white looks like any other breeds mottled chick keeping a close eye on that one. I really don't remember what the first mottled ones looked like in their down but I think they had blk on white markings.

YEAH!!!!!!!!
ya.gif
ya.gif
ya.gif
ya.gif
ya.gif
ya.gif
ya.gif
ya.gif
ya.gif
ya.gif
ya.gif
ya.gif
ya.gif
ya.gif
ya.gif
ya.gif
ya.gif

I usually dry incubate may put water in if it gets below 30 or so temp is right around 100 but I had a couple of spikes this time so that is what hurried them I guess. When I lockdown I crank the humidity up full water and wet sponges. How many did you get into lockdown?

Quote:
I not experienced enough to tell which are viabe yet before lockdown, I just keep my fingers crossed. Right now there are two pips. Thanks for the advise.

Back
Top Bottom