Let's talk Cuckoo and WHITE marans... breeding strategies...

I have a question about the cuckoos. So I know that the boys are lighter and the girls are darker. I also know that in the chicks that boys are are usually a lighter color but this isn't always the case. What makes them lighter and how can you get the chicks to be easier to tell girls from boys?

The more you hatch them the better you can tell....I can tell pretty easy with mine and I am not using any single copy males or crossing to a black girl. Boys have 2 copies that's why they are lighter but sometimes you will use a single copy rooster so his color looks like a hen. I have tried crossing black hens with my rooster and then I have to wait for the comb to develop to tell I hope this helps you out.

Oh, I forgot to mention, I just ordered some White Marans chicks from Dick Dickerson and they are due to hatch in about 2 1/2 weeks and then he will ship them to me. I have been searching and searching for eggs/chicks of the white Marans for some time and finally found these. They cost a little more than I wanted to spend (don't tell my husband), but I think they are worth it.

Quote:
I just put my cuckoo cockeral(about 6 months old) in with 2 Blue Marans Hens and 1 Cuckoo Marans hen and will probably start collecting eggs mid month or so and see what I can hatch out.

Quote:
I just put my cuckoo cockeral(about 6 months old) in with 2 Blue Marans Hens and 1 Cuckoo Marans hen and will probably start collecting eggs mid month or so and see what I can hatch out.

You'll get blue and black cuckoo chicks. No question about it.

Quote:

You'll get blue and black cuckoo chicks. No question about it.

That's what I'm hoping for
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom