Let's talk Cuckoo and WHITE marans... breeding strategies...

Quote:
You'll get blue and black cuckoo chicks. No question about it.

That's what I'm hoping for
thumbsup.gif

If you get anything else something is wrong with your birds!
tongue.png

Quote:
That's what I'm hoping for
thumbsup.gif

If you get anything else something is wrong with your birds!
tongue.png

Well the cuckoo cockeral is lighter in color the gal I got him from called him a Blue cuckoo- this is the start of a project as I am also checking to see if he carries the side sprig gene
wink.png
From whatever the results are when I hatch out eggs, will determine what the next step is!

ok... here are some 11 week cuckoo maran...there is one lighter but has a smaller comb than the others.... none are showing a red comb yet here are some pics...

the lightest one
53380_lightest_cuckoo_maran.jpg

top view of the 4 of them
53380_cuckoo_maran.jpg

the other combs are just a tad bigger do i have all hens?

I've got a question. If you breed 2 cuckoos together is geneticaly possible to get a dark legged black chick? I got some eggs from someone on e-bay and they where supposed to be cuckoo Marans and only 1 hatched and it is as described above. Do think it is possible that it is some sort of recesive genes or did another rooster hop the fence?

Quote:
My thought would be it go be either or... What color are the bottom of the feet? I know in gold cuckoo's you can still have other colors hatch.

Quote:
if the rooster has only one barring gene you can get a chick like what you hatched which is probably a pullet...and she might even get a copper necklace or a silver one you just never know.....

Speaking of Golds, I had my first hatch a couple of days ago.
smile.png
I am very happy with what I got considering it is their pullet eggs, I didn't set very many and my wheaten cockerel is still running with them. From what I can see it looks like 4 cuckoo's and looks to be one cockerel and three pullets as three are dark black and one is ash black.
fl.gif
And I got one that I think may end up being a wheaten, now just hoping for a pullet this time!
big_smile.png
What I found interesting is that all of the parent stock is French and two of the cuckoo's hatched clean legged??? I am also assuming like the parent stock these will start to express their gold around 3 months of age.

Parden my brooder, it was their temp right after hatching to keep a close eye on everyone, also have 7 solid black bantams in with them
49849_dsc05814.jpg

Quote:
The one red and brown chick looks very much like my Salmons I've hatched and looks like a rooster too....I find if mine don't look very brown they soon change as they are feathering out and there is a recessive clean legged gene that gives you clean legs from feathered stock I wouldn't use your clean legged ones for breeders unless you have too. Congrats on the hatch

Quote:
The one red and brown chick looks very much like my Salmons I've hatched and looks like a rooster too....I find if mine don't look very brown they soon change as they are feathering out and there is a recessive clean legged gene that gives you clean legs from feathered stock I wouldn't use your clean legged ones for breeders unless you have too. Congrats on the hatch

I sure hope it's not another cockerel!!
barnie.gif
Here is a picture of my wheaten (the daddy) when he hatched last fall. They do look very similar that's why I am assuming wheaten?? I guess only time will tell though.
pop.gif
Oh, the one thing I do like about this new chick is that is has really nice leg feathering.
big_smile.png

49849_dsc04387.jpg

And him a couple of months ago still growing into himself
49849_dsc05328.jpg

Quote:

I sure hope it's not another cockerel!!
barnie.gif
Here is a picture of my wheaten (the daddy) when he hatched last fall. They do look very similar that's why I am assuming wheaten?? I guess only time will tell though.
pop.gif
Oh, the one thing I do like about this new chick is that is has really nice leg feathering.
big_smile.png

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/49849_dsc04387.jpg
And him a couple of months ago still growing into himself
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/49849_dsc05328.jpg

I was told that the red chicks are females- the one that I have that looks like a rhodebar was like yours at hatch. Mine is definitely a girl.

Back
Top Bottom