Let's talk Cuckoo and WHITE marans... breeding strategies...

Hi all, I am sure there has to be someone out there with Cuckoo Marans and would like to get them ready for the upcoming 2013 APA approval.

Might be someone that also has white and maybe some eggs for sale. Don

Bev D. asked me to help with the cuckoos when we were at Newnan in Feburary. I said I would since I have been breeding "French" cuckoos now for 4 years. I not sure if I will be selling any Cuckoo or White eggs this year but I might trade eggs or chicks with other Cuckoo or White breeders.

There are 5 other people that were added to the list in Newnan. Everyone that raises them is encouraged to join in and show their birds and eggs at their local shows. I love mine because Cuckoos seem to be more common than the other varieties and much easier to get the plumage colors correct!

For those interested in showing, here is a copy of the standard taken form the MOAC site.

To those that have never shown, while you should always bring your BEST example to exhibit, each bird is judged or compared to this standard not expected to be exact to it. There are very few "defects" that can cause your birds to be disqualified, also, just because they do not look exactly like the SOP doesn't mean you can't place or even win.

General Appearance:

Cock:
Body : strong, fairly long and wide especially near the shoulders which are held high.

Neck : long, fairly strong, tending to curve in on top towards the skull; the hackles are
made of many long and abundant feathers covering the shoulders well

Back : long, flat, slightly concave towards the rear

Saddle : large, slightly raised but not rounded, covered with many lancets
Breast : strong and large
Abdomen : well developed
Wings : short , kept close to the body
Tail : strong at its base, quite short, fairly up without going over 45 °
Head : average size, slightly flat and long
Comb : simple, of an average size, with a fairly rough texture. Sharp edges.
The lobe not touching the nape

Wattles : average size, red with a fine texture
Ear-lobes : average size, red and long
Face : red colored with or without down
Eyes : bright, with a orangey-red iris
Beak : Quite strong, slightly hooked and horn-colored
Shanks : big, without vulture hocks
Tarsi : average size, with some feathers white or lightly pink colored for all the
varieties except for the BLACK, BROWN-RED and BIRCHEN Marans were gray or
dark gray is permitted, although not preferred, for both sexes. Four long and well
separated toes with the outer one sparsely feathered. The claws are white or horn- colored.

Hen:
Smaller than the cock, with a large, strong and more rounded body, a straighter back line,
a well developed abdomen , and a fine comb, straight or inclined only in the rear part.

Not sure on what the possible colors would be, the copper would most likely be passed on. Hopefully someone with more information will stop in and provide some insight.

That would all depend on what you white is based on. You would most likely get all black chicks if they stay recessive you could introduce copery or straw hackles into your white roos. You will also introduce dark legs when whtes are supposed to have pink ones.

If you have no choice but outcrossing or for darkening whites eggs you should always first consider a Silver Cuckoo. They will help keep the tarsi color correct and keep gold out of your whites.

My White Marans being lazy at the WCOPC Show last weekend.

A Dozen White and Cuckoo eggs from my birds :) My crazy Cuckoo cockerel was shacked up with the Polish Hen thast won Best Continental at the Show, she had broken through the split cage and was laying under him. I would hate to see the product of those eggs
ep.gif

Hi all, I am sure there has to be someone out there with Cuckoo Marans and would like to get them ready for the upcoming 2013 APA approval.

Might be someone that also has white and maybe some eggs for sale. Don

Hi Don! I would be willing to help. I have a french cuckoo flock. Can you let me know exactly what I need to do and what is expected?

Thanks.

Sandy

Hi Don! I would be willing to help. I have a french cuckoo flock. Can you let me know exactly what I need to do and what is expected?

Thanks.

Sandy

Hi Sandy, the meet for the Cuckoo to be recognized/accepted is going to be held at the Shawnee OK show in 2013. I will ask Bev and Dick what we need to do exactly. So I can post it.

-Nicol

Back
Top Bottom