Let's talk Golden Cuckoo Marans!

It seems like my hens also carry the cream coloration.
View attachment 1211656 View attachment 1211657
Blue copper marans, from blue black splash coppers, Mother of both with black barred daughters right below and in front of her (no gold):
View attachment 1211662
And pic of her black barred son:
View attachment 1211663

I'm guessing that they all posess the Di dilute gene, would a dilute mask the copper color on the blue copper hen, making them Di/Di? Or did they only inherit it from the father, being Di/di?

they have a great body type your cuckoo pullets .well chunky and thick .
they only inherited one copy from they sire .
one copy is enough to mask the true color of the copper .

I like the black barred cockerel .( his tail is high and comb is big) but well chunky and solidly built .
his brother the blue barred is more colorful than him .
over all the Blue one is more correct .less fault .

chooks man

I like the black barred cockerel .( his tail is high and comb is big) but well chunky and solidly built .

chooks man

Part of the reason I am suspecting the dam of carrying the dilute gene is that I haven't gotten a single copper/red color hackle from this pairing. The sire has produced copper/red from different pairings.

Is it worth exploring this as a separate line? It would be a 'cream cuckoo marans'. If I bring it back to blue and black copper, they will have straw hackles, so a fault, but a separate color, nonetheless.

chooks man

How has your season been going so far, my friend?

Mine is getting ready to start. I'm probably not hatching any via the incubator this year. They are all only 1 year old, but I've got a bunch of hens that like to go broody, they will be my workforce since I don't have much time this spring. I usually have at least 6 decide to hatch. If I get our gardening and building projects under control I'll try to hatch some later.

How has your season been going so far, my friend?

Mine is getting ready to start. I'm probably not hatching any via the incubator this year. They are all only 1 year old, but I've got a bunch of hens that like to go broody, they will be my workforce since I don't have much time this spring. I usually have at least 6 decide to hatch. If I get our gardening and building projects under control I'll try to hatch some later.

my season did not goes as planned .last spring sold all the fertile eggs .because I was going to breed on the summer season .but the things went wrong .so only hatched about around 100 .
small number but impressed by the quality .most of them where hatched by hens . So I m with you in using the broody hens,

getting to the molting season . most of older hens are in full molt .the pullets just started .still laying .

managed to hatch few pure golden cuckoo and blue golden cuckoo .well happy with that

chooks man

Part of the reason I am suspecting the dam of carrying the dilute gene is that I haven't gotten a single copper/red color hackle from this pairing. The sire has produced copper/red from different pairings.

Is it worth exploring this as a separate line? It would be a 'cream cuckoo marans'. If I bring it back to blue and black copper, they will have straw hackles, so a fault, but a separate color, nonetheless.

you are alright .your rooster has produced a copper colored progeny and a cream ones too .
the hen is carrying the dilute gene too .2 copies all the progeny will be cream .

the chose is your .do you want to breed it or breed it out .

chooks man

here my first true Goden blue cuckoo F2 pullet - great son over his great grandDam - line breeding .
P1080163.JPG

P1080106.JPG

chooks man

my season did not goes as planned .last spring sold all the fertile eggs .because I was going to breed on the summer season .but the things went wrong .so only hatched about around 100 .
small number but impressed by the quality .most of them where hatched by hens . So I m with you in using the broody hens,

getting to the molting season . most of older hens are in full molt .the pullets just started .still laying .

managed to hatch few pure golden cuckoo and blue golden cuckoo .well happy with that

chooks man

I'm not going to have as much time this year. My wife and I got full custody of my children. We had half, so before I had quite a bit more time. Thank God for broodys.

here my first true Goden blue cuckoo F2 pullet - great son over his great grandDam - line breeding .
View attachment 1278259
View attachment 1278261

chooks man

Is that rooster a blue? He's got great coloring.

I'm kinda split on the creme thing. I do like it, so I haven't decided to breed it out.

I'm not going to have as much time this year. My wife and I got full custody of my children. We had half, so before I had quite a bit more time. Thank God for broodys.

Is that rooster a blue? He's got great coloring.

I'm kinda split on the creme thing. I do like it, so I haven't decided to breed it out.

the cockerel is not blue is black .he is a F2 sired by a F1 silver/golden cuckoo over a Black copper hen.

I do like the cream color .I think does look good .but if your breeding to the SOP and you want to show your chooks one day ,than you ll have a problem .
if you are breeding for your self ,than I don t see way not .

chooks man

the cockerel is not blue is black .he is a F2 sired by a F1 silver/golden cuckoo over a Black copper hen.

I do like the cream color .I think does look good .but if your breeding to the SOP and you want to show your chooks one day ,than you ll have a problem.
if you are breeding for your self ,than I don t see way not .

chooks man

This year I'll attempt to try to isolate which birds carry the gene. I'll just not be able to hatch as much.

I'm breeding for myself, not to show. And there isn't an American Poultry Association recognized Golden Cuckoo color. I have 2 breeding pens set up with a smaller coop that I've got to build a pen for. It can hold up to 4 birds, so I can Isolate a rooster and hen.

Is the creme gene expressed with 2 copies? The blue GCM would pass it to all offspring in that case. My dark single barred doesn't have the dark orange either. Don't know if that is how creme is expressed in single barred birds.

Back
Top Bottom