Letting ducks swim

I had a kiddie pool once and one of the ducks died of exhaustion after struggling to get out. After that, I went to the more shallow mortar mixing pans. The ducks are fine with these. Yes, I know ducks are "water animals" but they were wild animals once and we made them tame and turned them into pets. How is that so different than my not giving them a swimming pool? It's not as if they know they are missing anything and they have plenty of food, water to wade in and so forth. Also, I have very limited water available most of the year. I can't connect a hose until the weather stops freezing. Perhaps I was being overly optimistic that there would be others out there in the same situation or others who just thought ducks were okay without a swimming pool. Guess not.
My ducks will just have to survive without the pool etc and will never know what they missed.

If you had read my post, you would've noted that I do not have a pool for my ducks currently. If you're going to have a pool, then steps need to be in place for them to get in and out. I had bricks staggered in a step formation for them, but they still don't quite know what to do with a pool, so I've decided to wait a little longer before I reintroduce it.

CHchickie86—Yes, I read that you do not have a pool for your ducks currently. However, I also read that the ducklings had no interest in the kiddie pool you have and you were going to reintroduce them to it later. That reads to me as your ducks chose to not want water, not that you did not offer swimming water. Your pans are as deep as the kiddie pool, so that seems in line with ducks need to swim. I did not mean to "ignore" your answer—I just read it as you do let your ducks swim if they want to. The ducks chose. As opposed to me not giving them a choice.

I don't remember if I had steps in place in the kiddie pool or not—they had been living in it in the garage and could climb in and out when I cleaned. Somehow the addition of water and warm outdoors appears to have done the ducks in. I removed the pool so no more would drown. Future ducks seemed fine without it, so no more swimming pools.

As a note, my ducks are 7 weeks old. Climbing up and down the bricks is what deters them from swimming, they're not sure about walking up and down them. My pan is half as deep as the kiddie pool I have, which was actually bought at PetSmart and a great deal smaller than one for kids. In my opinion, it doesn't matter if you have an actual pool or not for them. As long as your pans are deep enough for them to sit down and submerge their nostrils and throw water over their backs, which then promotes preening and oil production.

Last edited:
Our ducks I let swim supervised at the first week of their life in a paint tray. Week #2 it was supervised in a large Rubbermaid tub propped up at one end so it was deeper on one side than the other. I have 2 different creeks on my property and at week #3 they are supervised in running water. They follow me 100 yards to the creek and 100 yards back to the house when they start to shiver. That is when I decide it's time to get back under the lamp. Let those guys swim daily. They will love you for it. It's good to play and bond with them as well while they play in the water. Even if it's just splashing the water with your hand.

Just normal tap water as long as they can get under their lamp. Also rub the under side of their belly with you fingers. Ruffle their under belly and they will sit in your hand. They will think you are oiling them. It also dries their belly out faster. Plus you get to handle your ducks.

Awesome. Thank you. I used an inch or so of water, and folded a towel on one side of the sink to let them climb out on. They seemed a little skeptical, but did get in the water some. Darted around like water bugs lol.
I have noticed that they do like being rubbed under the belly, the neck and under their bills.
I didn't realize this was such an old thread when I posted. So thank you for responding.

My ducks weren't exposed to water very many times as ducklings because we raised them with our chicks. Now they free range during the day but I don't see them getting into the water they have access to. They play near it but don't swim. Is this normal? Should I encourage them to take the dive?

Back
Top Bottom