Letting my broody raise 20 meaties. Now I have a rooster raising 50 CX chicks~new batch!

I want you to know I learned so much from this thread! And I think DH got tired of the daily updates, lol.

Soon as I get another broody, I'm trying this. I currently have a pullet at POL who is fostering a lone meatie chick found on the side of the road. I washed him in the same shampoo I've been using on her and gave her a couple of minutes to study him before I let him loose. He dove under her and she allowed it. No pecking until he tried riding her back. Her skin had been damaged by mites and she's just about recovered. She pecked him until he understood it was "under the wing or nothing".

Btw, this foundling is a poultry company meat bird. DH found the owner and asked of he wanted the bird back. "Nope. He's yours now," was the answer. Hubby wondered why until I said, "Biosecurity. All he could do with it was kill it since it's been roaming the street..."

That's a great story!
smile.png
How in the world do you lose just one chick? Did it fall off the truck, you think?

I'm so glad you liked the thread and I'm hoping others add to it if they try the same method with their meaties.

I think "Ford Prefect" decided it was time to go hitchhiking.
wink.png

Seriously, I think the little stinker snuck out the door while the farmer was bringing stuff in or out. Ford looked like he was only two or three weeks old when I got him on February 7th. My Christmas Babies were twice his size (5-6 weeks old). This week they look about the same and they weighed the same when I tried out my new fish scale: about three pounds.

Thanks for the information, I am hoping to raise meat birds and the advise I am getting from this site is very helpful (mind you I will probably have to replace the keyboard if I dribble over any more pictures)

Quote:
BIG HUGS!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks so much for all the wonderful info and the time it took to post all those pics! I just read the whole thread and will really benefit from the info... I have processed some extra roos we have had in the past but never raised meaties... But after reading this thread I may give it a go this year... I just hope I can get a hen to go broody!

You are welcome, CR! I hope others will try this also this year....it was fun to watch the differences in this breed and my layers. Comical to watch them forage when they were young enough to move freely and sad to watch them want to forage but losing the will to do so in the heat of midday. Mornings and evenings were their optimal times to forage and they did so right up until they were butchered, so it proves this breed can and will forage for a significant portion of their dietary needs when given the opportunity to do so.

CR, please feel free to contribute to this thread if you do a meat project this year....it should be interesting if folks will include their impressions and any improvements in methods they may wish to add.

Wow, long thread, and I read through alot of it. Great information on here, and they looked fantastic. I do not know if I skipped it, but how did they turn out??

You skipped it! There are a few pics of the processing method and the finished product...and they turned out great! Good meat, healthy organs, clean and fully feathered.....no bare patches or noticable health issues at all.

Dressed out on average 5-6 lbs per.....some were more, a few were less but not many. All in all, I put over 100# of chicken in the freezer.

Quote:
I'm curious, if there is a sexlink mixed in with the CXs is it a roo? I think I have one in with mine, but don't know anything about sexlinks.

wow...I can't believe i read all 29 pages....this is amazing information...going to start designing my tractors now...this is a whole new way to raise meaties that i never knew was possible..thanks for a great thread....very helpfull and pleased...

Back
Top Bottom