Letting your inner cheap out

buc

Songster
12 Years
Apr 20, 2007
kansas
Do you dare to share your best inner cheap.

Today I need to shave, so, to teach my youngest son a little about solar heating, I took the 100 ft. garden hose, charged it with water and let is sit in the sun for about 3 hours.

I then went out with a one gallon milk jug and collected one gallon of perfectly hot water, saving the propane required to heat it.

I take the hose off the washing maching during the rinse cycle to catch the rinse water for reuse on non-edible plants. but, not so much cheap as conservative! We are in a major drought.

I know that there are those on this site that have better ones then the one I just shared.

Oh, those garden hoses in the sun are great for a hot outdoor shower, too
big_smile.png
Good thing we live in the country
lol.png

Quote:
Now you are talking.

I collect the water from the central air conditioner to water all sorts of things.

I bought a $8.00 solar shower at wal-mart so when the kids are done in the swimming pool, I rinse and wash them up outside. No using the hotwater in the house. The kids think it is fun to shower outside. It holds 5 gallons of water and it really goes a long way. I even had my dh out there taking a shower.

When I am waiting for the water to get hot I catch in a 2 gal. picture to water plants with. AND I have been making "sun" tea lately to keep from turning on the stove.

I tie together rubber bands when they break. Rubber bands that were re-used (we get them all the time around bundles of mail) anyway.

I also use cloth diapers (only ever bought one pack of diapers in my son's life, and that was for an 11-hour road trip!!) and use the clothesline almost exclusively. I buy bulk basics...flour, rice, beans, cheese. That's just a few things, I know there are more. But I don't know if they classify so much as "cheap", maybe more like "frugal" (and, in many cases, environmentally friendly). Tying rubber bands together....now that is just cheap!!
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom