LGBTQ+ Poultry Keepers

Found a pair of rabbits to start my meat program. They are American Chinchilla, and endangered heritage breed. They are pedigreed and just under a year old. Ready fior breeding!
Buck
20210308_150917.jpg

Doe
20210308_151159.jpg

I am stoked.They will be in suspended cages sharing a barn with my layers. Plan to make a post about them and my set up when I get them!

Are they typically used at meat rabbits?
If pedigreed, might find a show market for them too?
They were bred prolifically up until the 40s for meat and fur. When the fur trade fell off, this breed kind of did too because if being used solely for meat, a white rabbit is preferred by commercial rabbitries. Kinda like white chickens make neater looking carcasses. They are a fine meat rabbit typically reaching market weight (5lbs) between 9-10 weeks. Just a tad slower than the claimed 8 weeks of Calis and New Zealands. My plan is to add a New Zealand white doe to round out the trio. The AmChin/NZ mix litters will all be for personal meat consumption. The new zealand genes plus hybrid vigor should make for some productive litters. The pure American chinchilla litters I will eat the big ones, breed the BIGGEST ones and sell the rest as pedigreed pets. Hopefully I can pay for rabbit food this way, and in time, selectively breed my line of AmChins more toward high meat production. I am planning to breed each does 4-5 times a year.

I'm feeling optimistic about this venture. It only cost about $20 to feed three rabbits for a month, so even if I just get meat it will be worth it. I don't see why I won't be able to sell some rabbits though. Pros are it is perfectly legal and there is a lifestock auction, every week, 30 mins from my house. If I ever find myself neck deep in rabbits, I know where to go!

if being used solely for meat, a white rabbit is preferred by commercial rabbitries. Kinda like white chickens make neater looking carcasses.
I know white chickens make cleaner looking carcasses because of pigment in the feather follicles.......but does the color of rabbit fur transfer to the meat underneath and show after skinning?

I know white chickens make cleaner looking carcasses because of pigment in the feather follicles.......but does the color of rabbit fur transfer to the meat underneath and show after skinning?
White fur is preferable because it is easily dyeable, and difficult to see if a couple pieces are stuck to the carcass.
(source: wikipedia, attra.ncat.org

Back
Top Bottom