Life on the farm - Updates from Bethel

I just found this post and I wanted to say first, I am so glad that everyone is ok after the storm and second I feel like your homestead walked out of my dreams
love.gif
!!! That house and land are just SO awesome, I really enjoyed reading this post!

Quote:
Thank you so much - it kind of walked out of my dreams too. However, somehow in the dreams it wasn't so much work.
smile.png

Quote:
Of course it didn't originally have electricty, nor did the house. Can you imagine trecking your way out there at dark? But hey, it was a "two holer" so you could take one of your several brothers and sisters.

I'm hoping to repair it and use it as a garden shed.

Your house and property are BEAUTIFUL!
droolin.gif
If I could design my house and land, it would look very similar to that. How much did you have to pay for that? I understand if you don't want to say, its a pretty inappropriate question, but I'm curious.

Thanks guys. It is a dream but more importantly it is God's plan for us. We're not quite sure what the plan entails but He did lead us here for a reason. Part of the reason seems to be coming clearer. We recently joined a local church. It is a small, all black church. This is a very divided, racist town of "old blue blood/red neck whites" the majority of which own thousands of acres from original Spanish land grants which they lease out to hunters and have made money off the oil and gas rights so it is still owned by descendants of original owners. In any event, that makes for a huge divide in the welfare/poor/blacks and the land baron whites. The schools are separate and I swear there are days when I still see the "whites only" signs near drinking fountains. O.K. you know I'm exaggerating that but you get the idea. DH and I will never be accepted in this town now. In fact, the black lady that works p/t for us and also works full time at the gas station said "You know they call you Nig--- Lovers now". Sure, the same three store owners (feed store/hardware store/grocery store) will still take our money but we won't have to worry about being invited to their Civic Club Christmas Party, in fact weren't invited. And I don't have to worry about being invited to the monthly Ladies' Club meeting, in fact haven't been invited since we moved here.

But what's important is that the Lord told us to go to this church and He had previously told the Pastor we would be coming. We were greeted more warmly and openly in that church and by it's members than we have been by any of the whites in town. The church members have already been calling on us with offers to help and offers to take DH fishing/hunting. The pastor is rallying the Mens Group to come out and start working and helping us get the fences and barns and stables in shape. He too feels that the Holy Spirit is blowing through here and that there will be a purpose for this place. They will be helping us to put in a large garden in Spring. So maybe God's plan and purpose is finally starting to take shape. We can finally use the material things we have been blessed with to help others and to show others that His Love applies to everyone, not just the ones that have the same skin color and belong to the same church. When Jesus said that the second most important commandment was to "Love Thy Neighbor" He didn't say "Only the ones that look like you."

I'll try and post updates more often as things unfold.

Ok, I just felt like doing this, Monique:
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
I admire you so much. I'm sure you are being such a blessing to your neighbors, friends and fellow churchgoers. And I know sometimes it isn't the least bit easy to do the right thing.

I know how it feels to have rascism still exist in your community. The second largest KKK group in the country is in my area and when Obama won president 99% of the white people in my school went around all day saying he should be shot and they hoped someone from around here would do it. They also made very rude comments to the black kids who were celebrating. I have no intrest in living here if things are going to be like this and can't wait until I graduate next year so I can get out.

Maybe your purpose will be to help unite the community and break down some of the barriers that exist there.

Back
Top Bottom