Life on the farm - Updates from Bethel

Your house is gorgeous!

We have a cemetery on our property, too. It is so old there are no stones with words. I have done a lot of research and measuring of the sinks in the ground. I think I know for certain who is buried there. I just need to find the documentation to prove it - which I probably never will.

Ruth - You and your hubby are so lucky! That is one absolutely beautiful home and garden and everything!

The chickens look right at home. I think I'm a little jealous - I hope you have the time of your life in that home and enjoy many years there.

If you have any ghostly experiences, please do tell!

Oh so beautiful Ruth, wow. Very nice place indeed.
How many square feet is it ? Do the bathrooms have the old timey toilets & tubs? Weird question to ask,lol, I was raised in an older home & we had alot of the original bathroom fixures in it.
Love that cemetery, I'm like StandardHen, they are so interesting to explore.
Thanks so much for sharing,Miriam

Wow - can't believe it was January last time I updated about our life on the farm. Been so busy since then restoring gardens and outbuildings and raising/hatching more and more chickens and ducks. Here's a thread started recently that gives updates on The Gang in The Yard:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=36944

Many of you followed my thread about our ghost and the mysterious goings on which we solved by setting up a hidden camera - here's what it captured:

rexspokernight.jpg

Progress has been slow but steady. I spent every weekend Jan - March going to our rental house in Baton Rouge and painting, wallpapering, cleaning to get it on the market to sell. So I didn't have a lot of time to work on things here. I have put in a couple of small gardens and have been very busy hatching things left and right. Have gone from 13 chickens to 47 with a bator still full and more on the way.

Such a lovely home, Ruth ~ for some lovely people! I can just imagine how fun it is on holidays with so much room for family gatherings & the like. Like so many on here, it has always been my dream to live in the country in al old home, with your family & animals! But we all take what God gives us, & then what we give ourselves as well. Life is good, & I can't complain ~
~Red

Ruth...I love your house. I want your house. I will give up my house and everything in it for your house.

I have always wanted to move to Mississippi. We were going to buy a plantation house down there. had the paper work ready to go. Hubby was deployed in Iraq. I was going to move me and the girls down there. (I sent him emails/pictures of the house, mortgage, etc. etc.). Anyway something just didnt' seem right. I didn't feel right about moving by myself with out him home. I pulled out of our deal and 2 weeks to the day is when Katrinia hit. The plantation house we were going to buy is no longer even standing. It was a sad sad day when I stopped our mortagage. But so glad I did or I would of been unpacking and evacuating at the same time..

Congrats on the house. I love it and I am sure you will enjoy everything about the house for many many years to come.
There always seems like something new pops up when you least expect it....

Shawna

Thanks all for the compliments about the house. We are loving it here.

Just had to catch a bat tonight that got in last night while doors were open. My husband's bright idea last night was to close off the downstairs where the bat was and just go to bed at 9:30. Well of course bat hid somewhere all day and then started flying around as soon as it got dark.

Here's some pics of my potato garden and my kitchen garden that are starting to grow. I'm using the 100 year old manure/dirt that is still in barn stalls and things are growing like crazy.

potatogarden.jpg

kitchengarden-1.jpg

I'm trying to start small with gardening to get the hang of it and to not plant more than I can tend to.

If you've looked at my other thread you'll see I'm hatching and raising baby chicks of every breed and baby ducks right now. It's been lots of fun. So as not to duplicate things you can check out that thread for flock/chicken updates.

Back
Top Bottom