Light Brahmas, 4 months Pullet or Cockerel? +Updated Pictures on Page 4+

So, my EE started laying last Saturday. Like I said, I was a little disappointed that the eggs weren't blue or green. They are a light pale pink and they are really small....BUT, she has laid an egg every day since! 7 eggs in 7 days! wow! So, i have 4 more chickens who are 23 + weeks old who are still not laying. So today I have to go to the store and when I come back my husband tells me to go check the nesting boxes because he heard the egg song. So I run out there all excited because my 3 hens that are laying had already laid an egg and I was thinking that one of the others had had a first egg. So, I look in the nest and there is this HUGH hugh egg in there half buried under the shavings. So I'm thinking...OMG, this is hugh, it must be a triple yoker! And then I pick it up......and hear laughter as I discover the hugh egg was a large smooth oval shaped potatoe! Yes, DH was standing in the door laughing his head off! How mean can you get!!!! LOL! So check my signature to see where he rates today!

Oh my gosh!!!! Can you hear the uncontrolable laughter over here???

That is so mean, yet so hilarious!

By the way, I came home today and went to let the girls out and I found Georgina standing and then sitting in the nest box, all while humming a rather eggy-sounding tune...

yesss.gif

AHHHH! I can't believe it, she actually did it!!!! She laid her first egg!! The poor thing was panting and looked really pale after it was over. The egg had a little blood on it, and so did her vent. Is something wrong?

Here's what that egg cost:

Chicks $8

Waterer and feeder $6

Big girl waterer $15

Big girl feeder $7

Coop supplies $800 (at least LOL)

Starter and layer feed $70

PDZ coop freshener $20

First egg PRICELESS!!!
celebrate.gif
wee.gif

Last edited:
YEA!!!!!!! I knew she was a female!!! Please post a picture of your egg! Hummm, about the little blood. I have not experienced that so I can't tell you. I know from reading books that sometimes those first eggs are tough on the hens. so just watch her. Hopefully she will have an easier time next time. Was it a big egg? Awwww.....now I guess this thread will end...Booooo. It was one of the threads that was so fun to read. I am glad you got your egg. My EE started laying on the 11th and she had an egg every day for 11 days, skipped yesterday and had another one today! They are gradually getting bigger in size as they should be. So now I am still waiting for 4 more pullets. 3 are 24 + weeks old and 1 is 19 weeks old. I have placed an order with my friend for 2 true Ameraucanas, 1 gold laced polish, 1 welsummer, and maybe another EE. My husband doesn't know it yet....hahahaha...I will tell him that will make up for the JOKE he pulled on me!!! I saved that dumb potatoe! It really looks like an egg. It is smooth and egg shaped! Rotten DH! Anyway, congratulations! Post pictures soon
!

Okay, here are the pictures you've all been waiting for!! Now I have solid proof!! I can go buy the pink bubble gum cigars now! LOL

Here it is, THE EGG! It is about 2 1/8 in. long.

Poor thing had a time laying it

"Wait, did I just do that?"

"You bet I did! I laid the first egg!"

"I know you're proud of me!"

"You should be proud of me! I laid you an egg, for pete's sake!"

Last edited:
Omg! Those pictures (and captions) are great!!!! Your egg is Huge!!!! I think I would print them and keep them. Too cool.

Thanks! Actually, the egg isn't huge, my hand is just really small. LOL But we measured it and it is about 2 in. I'd say it's about 2/3 the size of a grocery store large egg.

Back
Top Bottom