Light Brahmas, 4 months Pullet or Cockerel? +Updated Pictures on Page 4+

Yaaaaa! I know you are excited. Mine finally squatted about a week ago and yesterday we got our first egg!!!!! So tiny, but after 22 + 2 days, we finally had an egg from our barred rock. Got another one today!!!! It's obviously the one on the left. (Store bought large egg on the right) Hope the other girls will follow soon.

Yaaaaa! I know you are excited. Mine finally squatted about a week ago and yesterday we got our first egg!!!!! So tiny, but after 22 + 2 days, we finally had an egg from our barred rock. Got another one today!!!! It's obviously the one on the left. (Store bought large egg on the right) Hope the other girls will follow soon.

Gotta love that first pullet egg!

My Georgina has squatted 3 times since the first time and I'm eagerly awaiting "E-day."
celebrate.gif

WoooooHooooo! I feel your excitement! It is sooooooooo fun to finally get that egg. You go look in the nest box without really thinking there will be anything there....and there it is! You have to do a double take! Since Friday, I have 3 girls laying and have gotten 7 eggs. I was a little tad disappointed that my EE laid a pale pink egg. I was soooo wanting a blue or green egg! But, she has laid 4 days in a row! We race each other to the nest boxes every day and everyone stops and runs outside when we hear the egg song! So much fun!!! Puts excitement back in our old lives! (we are in our 60's) hahahha! Will be getting an Ameraucana or two this fall so I will be sure to get those blue blue eggs! Can't wait for you to get your first egg!!!!

WoooooHooooo! I feel your excitement! It is sooooooooo fun to finally get that egg. You go look in the nest box without really thinking there will be anything there....and there it is! You have to do a double take! Since Friday, I have 3 girls laying and have gotten 7 eggs. I was a little tad disappointed that my EE laid a pale pink egg. I was soooo wanting a blue or green egg! But, she has laid 4 days in a row! We race each other to the nest boxes every day and everyone stops and runs outside when we hear the egg song! So much fun!!! Puts excitement back in our old lives! (we are in our 60's) hahahha! Will be getting an Ameraucana or two this fall so I will be sure to get those blue blue eggs! Can't wait for you to get your first egg!!!!

I'm giddy (or, should I say "Biddy") with excitement!! I think I may be a little disappointed, though when the suspense is over.
caf.gif

I tried sticking her in the nest box today, but she would have nothing to do with it! She squawked and wanted out, LOL.

I can't wait! I only hope she wasn't just trying to throw me off by squatting. Okay okay, so chickens aren't that smart, but I can imagine, right?
lau.gif

I know what you mean, I need some farm excitement in my life, too!
Since I've gotten chickens, I've become a bit of a farm girl.
I've always been a suburban girl until Kitty and Goergie came. Now I say to myself when traveling through a rural area, "I really wish I could buy one of these properties and have myself a farm of my own!"
jumpy.gif

Last edited:
I know what you mean. I can't go by an old shack without thinking that someone could make a neat coop out of that. Or if I see a big field of pretty grass, I think, boy would my chickens love that! I guess all the books I've read about chickens are right....they usually state somewhere in the book that chickens can become an obsession! I've got it bad. I only have 8 chickens right now, but really want more. I want all different kinds so I can tell them apart. And my goal is this picture I found on the internet. Different colored eggs!

I know what you mean. I can't go by an old shack without thinking that someone could make a neat coop out of that. Or if I see a big field of pretty grass, I think, boy would my chickens love that! I guess all the books I've read about chickens are right....they usually state somewhere in the book that chickens can become an obsession! I've got it bad. I only have 8 chickens right now, but really want more. I want all different kinds so I can tell them apart. And my goal is this picture I found on the internet. Different colored eggs!
You know how they say you should wash your hands after dealing with chickens because of the bacteria they can carry?

Well, I've found that the most dangerous disease a chicken can carry- far worse than Salmonella- is OCD. (Obsessive Chicken Disorder, of course!) Another common ailment for the happy chicken owner is Chickenmathitis.

For instance, our planned flock started out as three pullets, soon grew to six and then eight... Before we even bought any chicks.
lau.gif
Fortunately, we realized it would be too much and kept it to only two. Our coop is built for at least six more LF hens and if I got bantams, I could add 12, because they only count as half a chicken... But, then again, Silkies would be only one quarter of the size of my Brahmas... Uh oh, I may have contracted CMI. Perhaps I need to be in quarantine for a while.
hide.gif

What beautiful eggs! Those would be so fun to collect every morning!

Last edited:
So, my EE started laying last Saturday. Like I said, I was a little disappointed that the eggs weren't blue or green. They are a light pale pink and they are really small....BUT, she has laid an egg every day since! 7 eggs in 7 days! wow! So, i have 4 more chickens who are 23 + weeks old who are still not laying. So today I have to go to the store and when I come back my husband tells me to go check the nesting boxes because he heard the egg song. So I run out there all excited because my 3 hens that are laying had already laid an egg and I was thinking that one of the others had had a first egg. So, I look in the nest and there is this HUGH hugh egg in there half buried under the shavings. So I'm thinking...OMG, this is hugh, it must be a triple yoker! And then I pick it up......and hear laughter as I discover the hugh egg was a large smooth oval shaped potatoe! Yes, DH was standing in the door laughing his head off! How mean can you get!!!! LOL! So check my signature to see where he rates today!

Back
Top Bottom