Light Sussex really keep you guessing! Can anyone help confirm my gender guesses?

Ruggax

In the Brooder
Nov 25, 2022
Hey all,

I’m back yet again with my Light Sussex flock. Just when I think I know who’s who and what’s what they change again haha. Can anyone help me confirm my below guesses, your help is much appreciated :)

Also please excuse the chook poo in the pics haha.

Edited to add - They are 15 weeks old

1) Itsy Spider - Most definitely a cockerel, can anyone let me know if hes worth breeding given the yellow legs? His parents were both white legged but him and Nugget (same hatch) have got yellow legs.
84108DB9-F41A-4A94-86D6-83A00D9CA5BB.jpeg

2) Bob - Also a definite cockerel, he’s a bit leaner and smaller than I.S but could be better for breeding given he has white legs.
FE964E3E-6C56-440B-8C2F-52910D147E11.jpeg

3) Nugget - I’m thinking also a cockerel but has yet to show any signs of saddle feathers or hormonal behaviour like the other two.. could be a matter of time?
8CF693FF-CE87-4A15-99D4-5132E764EBAA.jpeg

4) Ryan - I am unsure of, I’m leaning pullet because they’re a bit more pink than the definite boys but still not super sure. Also no sign of saddle feathers or hormonal behaviour.
5EADAEB8-DDAC-403F-9C50-D075B793F7BA.jpeg

5) Butter - Pullet, she’s a sweet girl and the smallest of the flock. I find her outside the coop after bedtime too often and she seems to not want to be around the others as much in the coop, she’s fine during the day though when they're free range.
68697029-E4F8-42FD-ACC7-EC7A0849B506.jpeg

6) Doug - I am 95% sure is a Pullet although she does have some reddish wattles that keep me wondering.
67BCAEB7-32C6-40AA-A2B1-FC9086C09A8A.jpeg

7) Loca - Pullet
81FA5777-748E-4ECA-8DEB-F5E43643696C.jpeg

8 ) Chickoletta - Pullet
609B73A6-FEB0-4E4D-B3DA-61F01A1494FD.jpeg

1&2 are cockerels like you say, personally I’m also not sure for 3, but the rest are pullets. Sorry, this doesn’t really give you any useful information you didn’t know. I’m leaning cockerel for 3 because of that tail. Are you sure they’re all Sussex? Non of them should have yellow legs, so maybe they are light rocks instead. I wouldn’t breed the yellow legs.

9E19EC0E-0335-4E48-9E73-5B098BE6A5B4.jpeg
This is a Colombian rock. As you can see, same pattern as light Sussex, but they have yellow legs. Maybe you have a few of each, or someone has bred them together by accident earlier up the line and now the recessive yellow is showing. Great layers either way. You could always get a red (rhode island, leghorn, speckled Sussex, etc) rooster and breed red sex links instead of using these cockerels.

1&2 are cockerels like you say, personally I’m also not sure for 3, but the rest are pullets. Sorry, this doesn’t really give you any useful information you didn’t know. I’m leaning cockerel for 3 because of that tail. Are you sure they’re all Sussex? Non of them should have yellow legs, so maybe they are light rocks instead. I wouldn’t breed the yellow legs.
They are definitely all Light Sussex. Spider, Nugget, Doug, Bob and Butter are all from one set of parents who are definitely Light Sussex and both parents have white legs, only Spider and Nugget have yellow legs. Ryan, Chickoletta and Loca are from another set of parents that are also definitely Light Sussex.

View attachment 3402659This is a Colombian rock. As you can see, same pattern as light Sussex, but they have yellow legs. Maybe you have a few of each, or someone has bred them together by accident earlier up the line and now the recessive yellow is showing. Great layers either way. You could always get a red (rhode island, leghorn, speckled Sussex, etc) rooster and breed red sex links instead of using these cockerels.
Perhaps it could’ve been a mistake further up the line that has come through in Nugget and Itsy Spider. Probably went unknown by the breeder that I got them from though because her whole flock are your typical white legged Light Sussex.

Perhaps it could’ve been a mistake further up the line that has come through in Nugget and Itsy Spider. Probably went unknown by the breeder that I got them from though because her whole flock are your typical white legged Light Sussex.
Yeah, sorry, what I was getting at with my second point was something like this. They do appear to be Sussex, so the fault may have been introduced into the great, great…. Grandparents, and being recessive only occasionally shows up.

1, 2, and 3 are cockerels, not sure about 4, and the rest are pullets.
Definitely do not breed any with yellow legs, that is a serious fault that will keep cropping up if you don't cull it out. (no need to actually cull if you don't want to, but keep them as pets only)

Just an update for anyone curious - Only 1 & 2 are cockerels, the rest are all pullets :)

Back
Top Bottom