Light

Quote: Ventilation is way more important than warmth...they need good ventilation in the coop all year round.

The moisture and ammonia from their breathing and pooping can make for an unhealthy environment without adequate ventilation...and may be part of the reason they prefer to be outside the coop.

Good article linked in my signature on Ventilation.

Ventilation is way more important than warmth...they need good ventilation in the coop all year round.

The moisture and ammonia from their breathing and pooping can make for an unhealthy environment without adequate ventilation...and may be part of the reason they prefer to be outside the coop.

I'll definitely read the article, thank you! I'll go on to say that I have a good 2-3 inches of pine on the 4x8 floor and I have yet to smell the odors that people are speaking of. I will say that the coop's entire floor is a tray and pulls out completely so as I change those shavings, the whole coop gets a start over. I feel like my cleaning, because of how the hubby built it, is pretty immaculate and I'm probably doing it way more often than I need to right now. Maybe with more age and thus bigger birds and more poop, I'll know more of what you all mean. They really dont mind going in, but they are like scared children who wont walk down a dark hallway without a nightlight!!! As soon as the light goes on, they run up the ramp and find their places on the roosts. Interesting to watch their placements as the hens sit near one particular roo and the other Roos are left to a different perch on their own!

...... Maybe with more age and thus bigger birds and more poop, I'll know more of what you all mean. ....
Yeah, that cute little pullet poop is nothing compared to a full grown bird.

Even with an immaculate coop, ventilation is important.
When it gets hot down there, it's going to be even more important.

Ventilation is way more important than warmth...they need good ventilation in the coop all year round.

Okay, I know you mentioned ventilation being more important than warmth. And I believe you. Well let me tell you what I observed today. Normally after I turn on the light, they all begin to file in. After they are all in, I leave the light on a few more minutes while I clean up, refill food, change water, etc. Before I turn off the light, I open the front large cleaning door enough for me to see where everyone is perching. Most of the hens on perched on the same perch with the Leghorn roo. The other males are either on the other perch or choose to lay in the shavings with an occasssional hen here or there. I find that weird that they are not all perching. There are 3 perches and one is not used at all by any.

Anyway, I go out today and they were actually slower than usual going in as about half of them seemed to be enjoying the drizzle we are having this evening. But, they finally all went in and I followed my usual routine. To my surprise, when I opened the door, they were ALL huddled together under the light and laying in the shavings. The two Roos that are usually on the second roost were the only two roosting out of 14 total and were right beside each other. They all looked at me like, "What? We like it in the poopy shavings!" It is 60+ degrees. What in the world is up with that behavior? It made me think they were cold. Lol! At any rate, I unplugged the light and walked away. I went and checked my new rain barrel walked back to the coop because I forgot something and my once quiet coop was quite chattery with what sounded like little kids scared of the dark!!! I think my chickens are weird. What was it that I did that made these chickens think they need a light on?

Just because they were gathered together on the floor doesn't mean they were cold, they find comfort and security in touching at times, especially when sleeping.

The chatter after lights out was not because they were 'scared' of the dark, but the sudden darkness alarmed them, they can't see worth beans in the dark.
They were exploring in the shavings because of the light being on, then the light went out before they could get up on the roosts.
That actually demonstrates the need for good natural light in the coop so they can go to roost as the light slowly lowers in intensity.

Also, most chickens, especially young ones, can bicker and chatter a lot as they go to roost and sleep.
Younger birds may still be more comfortable sleeping in a pile than on the roosts.

Is it okay to change roost location eventually? Does that mess with their pecking order and cause problems because they have to readdress who will sit where?

Right now the laying boxes are closed off so the 3 roost poles are lower and going across which means there are 3 at 4 ft long. When we open the boxes, I want to put them up high and have them go long ways. There would be 2 at 8 ft long.

Is it okay to change roost location eventually? Does that mess with their pecking order and cause problems because they have to readdress who will sit where?

Right now the laying boxes are closed off so the 3 roost poles are lower and going across which means there are 3 at 4 ft long. When we open the boxes, I want to put them up high and have them go long ways. There would be 2 at 8 ft long.
Yeah, it will throw them off a bit, but they'll adjust pretty quickly.

You'll have to think carefully about where to locate the roosts because of the narrow aspect (4'?) of your coop.
They need room to fly/jump down and land safely without crashing into something....
.......you might want to think about a ramp to the roost, unless you are using a ladder type roost set up.

How many birds are you going to end up with?(I think you have multiple males to get rid of?)
1 foot of roost length per bird, and 1 nest for every 3-4 birds, is adequate.

Yeah, it will throw them off a bit, but they'll adjust pretty quickly.

You'll have to think carefully about where to locate the roosts because of the narrow aspect (4'?) of your coop.
They need room to fly/jump down and land safely without crashing into something....
.......you might want to think about a ramp to the roost, unless you are using a ladder type roost set up.

How many birds are you going to end up with?(I think you have multiple males to get rid of?)
1 foot of roost length per bird, and 1 nest for every 3-4 birds, is adequate.

I should end up with 8 hens and 1 possible rooster if we keep him. The rest are going soon. Maybe this weekend...

Yes, I want the ladder aspect. The 6 nesting boxes dont take any of that 4ft space. They stick out the side and are supported underneath. I'll have to try both ways to see if long ways or short ways works better once I can see the setup with the nesting boxes opened.

Maybe one day I can add an entire walk in shed as a second coop! ;)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom