lighter/darker chicks a sex link?

mollybuck

Songster
7 Years
May 14, 2013
WNY
Hello guys! My broody silkie hatched a couple of chicks this weekend. they are black astralorp/blrw mix. We hatched one in may of the same mix and it was a black chick with white tips on its wings and it is definatly a pullet.

The two (3.. one didnt make it ...) that she has now, one is black with the white tips and one is grey with the white tips. I have about this much............ knowledge on genetics, and and curious if the grey one may be a boy? would such a cross create a sex link? thanks!

Hello guys! My broody silkie hatched a couple of chicks this weekend. they are black astralorp/blrw mix. We hatched one in may of the same mix and it was a black chick with white tips on its wings and it is definatly a pullet.

The two (3.. one didnt make it ...) that she has now, one is black with the white tips and one is grey with the white tips. I have about this much............ knowledge on genetics, and and curious if the grey one may be a boy? would such a cross create a sex link? thanks!

Sorry, but your chicks are not sex linked. Producing sex links requires a hen with a silver gene.

Hmm.. would a cuckoo Maran? I was just surprised to see the Grey one. I wasn't trying for it. Thanks!

Hmm.. would a cuckoo Maran? I was just surprised to see the Grey one. I wasn't trying for it. Thanks!

Yes, a Cuckoo Maran hen will work for sex link chicks as cuckoo is produced by the barred gene. From hatching, the male chicks will have a white spot on their heads and will be barred as adults. Females will lack the white spot as chicks and the barring as adults.

You're not sex linked with that cross, but the lighter bird is likley showing the blue dilution of black, while the darker bird will be black.

Back
Top Bottom