Lime colored poop

Bkaye

Songster
Premium Feather Member
Feb 28, 2022
Eastern North Carolina
Here I am again asking for your help. I have a rooster he’s a little over a year and a half. I noticed today that he has diarrhea (pics below). He’s still eating a drinking and moving about however he seems a bit slower. He’s just coming out of a molt, still has a few feathers he’s growing back. I’ve caught him a couple times today standing with his eyes closed but he’s not acting to off from his normal self. He was still crowing as normal this morning. I did give some buttermilk and rice this afternoon and he ate some of that as well. Also my flock was dewormed the beginning of October.

Any ideas on what I could be dealing with or what actions I should take.

I do have a Mareks in my flock. I thought of caging him and starting him on sulfa but don’t want to do that and cause unnecessary stress if it’s not needed.

The 2 pics below are from this evening. They seem really mucousy.

IMG_0238.jpeg
IMG_0239.jpeg

Here is an updated poop picfrom after dark tonight. They are more solid but bright green. He’s been eating and has a full so not sure why green. I will check his crop first thing tomorrow to make sure it empties.

IMG_0241.jpeg

What did you deworm with and how long ago?

What's he been eating - try to be specific.

Have you been giving any supplements - vitamins, electrolytes, etc.?

Any chance he ate moldy or rotten food, something toxic, fertilizer like Miracle Grow, etc.?

I'd work on hydration, then offer fresh normal feed, it can be wet or dry - whatever he's willing to take in. If he's off his normal feed, then try bits of egg or some canned fish like sardines, mackerel or tuna to entice him.

Not sure what's causing the color of the poop. Molting birds can act poorly and standoffish for short period of time, but that poop I've never seen that before.
@Eggcessive have you?

I used Valbazen to worm them. Wormed them on the 2nd and followed up 10 days later.

He has only been eating his normal feed which is Kalmbach all flock crumble, once I saw the poop I did give everyone some boiled rice with buttermilk. They normally do not get treats other than wet food or any bugs that get in the run.

I have looked around and have found nothing moldy, no other feed has been given so nothing rotten. They do not free range so no fertilizer or anything.

Ill make a mash for him before work tomorrow. I did see him eating and drinking today so he doesn't seem to be off feed. He ate the buttermilk rice as well. He went to bed with a full crop.

edit to add: I normally give the vitamins once a week or so. Its been about a week since they last had anything added to the water.

I had looked at this thread earlier and no, I haven’t seen that type of dropping before. Sometimes blueberries or red cabbage can cause blue-green colored droppings. But that one is different.

The only way for him to of eaten something other than his feed would of been for him to dig it up or a bug jump in.

I’m really hoping this is just something weird and he will be fine tomorrow. My bantams have been the most effected by Mareks so I get a little paranoid when one starts acting off or something is “different”.

Last edited:
The only way for him to of eaten something other than his feed would of been for him to dig it up or a big jump in.

I’m really hoping this is just something weird and he will be fine tomorrow. By bantams have been the most effected by Mareks so I get a little paranoid when one starts acting off or something is “different”.
I do hope it's something else and I can understand your worry.

Is there a way to take a sample to your vet to rule out infection like Enteritis. While I believe poop would be a darker green, infection is a possibility.

And with Marek's, there is a green poop symptom as well, can't remember off hand if it supposed to be bright green or not. I know I'm not being very positive, but it's definitely something "different" so it's worth taking note of this one thing along with other symptoms so you can hopefully recognize it, if it shows up in other birds.

Unfortunately no vets in my area will do fecal floats or any type of stool samples for a chicken. I ran into that issue last year when I was having an issue. It pushed me to buy a microscope and start doing our own fecal floats. I even have a gram stain kit that I purchased but lack the knowledge to put it to use yet.

I’ve seen green poop with some of my birds that have passed from causes I’m sure we’re Mareks. All the poop I’ve seen from them were the same green color as when they go off feed. Most of those birds even though they were eating they were wasting away.

I had a young cockerel a couple years ago that had enteritis but he had blood mixed in with his poop. If he starts acting lethargic I have sulfa I can start him on. I try to keep stuff on hand. Seems like these birds like keeping me on my toes 😔.

Unfortunately no vets in my area will do fecal floats or any type of stool samples for a chicken. I ran into that issue last year when I was having an issue. It pushed me to buy a microscope and start doing our own fecal floats. I even have a gram stain kit that I purchased but lack the knowledge to put it to use yet.

I’ve seen green poop with some of my birds that have passed from causes I’m sure we’re Mareks. All the poop I’ve seen from them were the same green color as when they go off feed. Most of those birds even though they were eating they were wasting away.

I had a young cockerel a couple years ago that had enteritis but he had blood mixed in with his poop. If he starts acting lethargic I have sulfa I can start him on. I try to keep stuff on hand. Seems like these birds like keeping me on my toes 😔.
:hugs I'm sorry you're having these difficulties.

Let us know how he's doing in the morning, I'm hoping he'll come around right.

Back
Top Bottom