little feathered genuises!

Garjzla

Crowing
5 Years
Nov 28, 2014
Oregon
I noticed how people think chickens aren't smart, but I don't even see how that's possible.

Yes, sometimes fragile chickens like silkies suffer from brain damage, which is caused by either trama, being born that way, or being hurt on it's head. These are all based on what humans do, OR, just how it's born! Either than that, chickens are really smart!

They, I've noticed, remember things easily. as either babies or grown ups they will remember their owner or a human (Or animal) they love, but easily figure out who they don't know. One time my chicken started playing a game on my phone, and I wasn't surprised at how she did it so easily. One time there was a worm, and two little things that looked the same but they ONLY ate the worm, and were not fooled by the fake ones.

They know what's food and what's not, but I really don't know if it's possible for them to eat something that would kill them, considering they'll eat every type of weed or grass in a instant. LOL

But, my point is that chickens are way smarter than humans think.

Last edited:
Yeah, but I hate to end it sooner than it should. I feel like it's more of a Christian thing, like God put animals on earth to live and be free, if it's not even going to be free at least let it live until they naturally die. And I feel like raising a calf, getting her pregnant, and then slaughtering her baby is betrayal. You just killed her child, which makes me terribly upset. And I know most people don't agree.

You obviously never grew up on a farm. things die. I'm not even getting into the religion aspect. I raise my chickens, and grow a good deal of our year's food. I have no issue killing them and processing them when the time comes... or any other animal.

Nature is cruel. I'm betting you've never seen the carnage of a fox or fisher getting into a coop.... or if a chicken is dumb enough to get within reach of a pig... or what a horse will do to a single coyote. Or what the family cat does when let outside.

Bottom line is our bodies were built to use animal and vegetable protein, it is the reason we have the teeth we have.

None of our teeth are sharp enough to bite through live prey. Put a bunny with a baby, and a apple in there too, and let me know when the baby kills the bunny instead of eating the apple.

Human dentition is quite capable of biting through raw meat and skin. We are not cats... we don't eat things while they are still alive.

a baby is going to eat neither, because it has not yet been taught.

I agree with you I would love to rescue some! I'm big on rescue animals and I like to take them straight out of the bad situation. The ones that are rescued have at least been taken out of the factory, I would want to get mine right from the factory so to get more out of terrible conditions. Does that make since? Kind of confused my self typing it haha

Hahahaha well maybe but I am to then because I think they are beautiful birds as well! ;) I would like to look into it but I'm scared I couldn't handle it:( but I think I might suck it up it would fill my heart to give some of those ladies a home!

My friend had a blue and gold macaw. They said it had the intellect of a four year old child. Birds and blooms, had an article once, about the intellect of crows and problem solving abilities. They set a glass milk bottle out, now the opening is very small. This bottle was then filled half way full. The Crow could not drink from the bottle. The water was too far down, way below the neck of the bottle. But what they discovered was that the crow, over the period of an hour, would fly a distance to acquire pebbles. It had the problem solving abilities to figure out, that by placing pebbles into the bottle it would raise the water level high enough for it to drink from. That is not a natural behavior, nor was it taught. It used its logic of matter displacement to achieve its goal, of getting a drink. Very higher reasoning for bird. But what I found more amazing is that it choose to do so freely. To invest an hour of it's time, when surely there was water that was easier to drink, without all the work. The crow choose the mental challenge for the eventual pay off, the water. Pretty awesome right?

Last edited:
Humans think they are the smartest animal. But it is the dolphins.

Actually, wrong!;) Chickens have been proved by MANY scientists that they were more intelligent than dolphins!:) And I can't disagree, I mean, dolphins don't just decide to play a app that they've never seen before:p. But all animals are smart, probably the same amount.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom