little giant 9300

That probe is a nightmare!! I finally just left it alone. The chicks hatched and were fine. It didn't interfere with them moving around. Some even slept on it. Of course with it lying on the floor of the bator, I had to watch the temp and adjust a little, because it's a little cooler down there and would make the heat run more. Good luck with your hatch!

Thank for your help. At the moment I have it duct taped to the side of the upper lid. It's staying for now, but not certain when I go into lockdown tonight and have to crank up the humidity if the tape will hold.

Day 21 is today, had one chick hatch early this morning, the other 14 eggs are not pipped yet. The lone chick has moved the probe a couple of times already, hovering to keep the temp in check.

Day 21 is today, had one chick hatch early this morning, the other 14 eggs are not pipped yet. The lone chick has moved the probe a couple of times already, hovering to keep the temp in check.

I gave up on mine on day 19, nothing had pipped & I was never even able to get it up to temp. I will use it to warm & dry the chicks if I get any.Not happy at all with this incubator. Probably will return it.

Yes Chicken lady if you have the option to return it I would! I have to think that the previous still air model with the square element that runs around the edge would be better than this. I wouldn't use it for chicks either I'm always afraid to leave them in it long for fear of cooking them. Would love a Brinsea myself, even the little one. I liked that this was made in the USA is why I bought it. Sorry about your hatch.

Yes Chicken lady if you have the option to return it I would! I have to think that the previous still air model with the square element that runs around the edge would be better than this. I wouldn't use it for chicks either I'm always afraid to leave them in it long for fear of cooking them. Would love a Brinsea myself, even the little one. I liked that this was made in the USA is why I bought it. Sorry about your hatch.

Yes only1bgirl, they are junk in my opinion, so cheaply made. I truly hope that the tag on it that says made in the USA is not really true. If it is they definitely need to go back & improve it.

The small heating element and the clear plastic sensor are difficult to tune in for sure

Darn near impossible, I've had mine set for 102 since I've set it up and it still hasn't reached it 6 days later. And yet the heater is off and the little message is showing the chick in the shell and ok. Frustrating, removed my eggs from lockdown in it. I couldn't even get my humidity to come up. That was with all water wells full and a container with water & sponge in it. I've returning it, they are either poorly made or mine is a dud.

Looks like we'll be happy with the one chick out of 27 eggs! Geesh! I just keep going back to the humidity being the main issue here besides the probe, I kept that stable through this hatch. I found a site of a lady that hatches here in the PNW and she said low 30's for 1-18, she doesn't add any water and 50-60 for lockdown. And she uses sponges which is something I haven't tried. I think sponges might be good and help fight the awful condensation that happens in these styrobators. The windows get huge droplets of water and I can't help but think so do the insides of the eggs. Going to try it one more time using this method and not having eggs shipped during the holiday rush!
Happy Holidays BTW!

Last edited:
Looks like we'll be happy with the one chick out of 27 eggs! Geesh! I just keep going back to the humidity being the main issue here besides the probe, I kept that stable through this hatch. I found a site of a lady that hatches here in the PNW and she said low 30's for 1-18, she doesn't add any water and 50-60 for lockdown. And she uses sponges which is something I haven't tried. I think sponges might be good and help fight the awful condensation that happens in these styrobators. The windows get huge droplets of water and I can't help but think so do the insides of the eggs. Going to try it one more time using this method,
Happy Holidays BTW!
I did dry hatch for the last one and I prefer it, however, I think 50-60 humidity for lockdown and hatch is too low. I like mine at 70/75 at least. I also use the sponges, they make lockdown so much easier in my opinion, where lockdown is concerned. Good luck on your next try.

Good to know about the sponges, thank you! Do they help to keep the large condensation drops forming on the lid? Do you put them in dripping wet or wrung out and how many do you use?

[@]amylynn2374/@]

Back
Top Bottom