little giant 9300

Thank you so much for the photos and instructions! I do not have a turner so I've got to work out either tilting the cartons or the eggs.

Im not too sure if i want to add a fan. Im going to rotate the top 180 every day next hatch and take notes. I am very pleased with my hatch rate so far. Im thinking the fan will affect my humidity because i took both red plugs out. I hope some people using the 9300 with a fan will chime in and share their experiences. This9300 is a fairly new design.
I thnk mine was a 9200. I borrowed it and have since returned it to it's owners.

I too started out rotating 180 degrees each day....but then realized that the same outside eggs were still always under the heating element all the time and the eggs in the center of the incubator were always still far away from the heating element. So once a day I would rotate eggs from the middle to the outside edges and vice versa.

I do think the fan kept temps more even, but agree that it lowers humidity a bit.

I got 25 out of 30 but I had to assist 7 that had the inner membrane apparently holding their heads so they could only pip and could not zip.

of the 5 that did not hatch, 2 never developed anything, 1 quit around day 7 or so, 2 were fully formed but did not internally pip.

Day five of incubation in the 9300 with fan, noticing its hard to keep temperature regulated at lower than 60% humidity levels, this will be great come hatch time as it functions well in the 60% + humidity level. But not so great now since I'm trying to keep humidity at 50-55% range. It does not loose humidity as fast as I expected it too either, even with both plugs out and the fan. The fan is small and spins at very low rpm I can barely feel it when I put my hand over it. This model would be a great hatcher if a person was looking to have two seperate units.

[/I
Day five and I just candled the Silkie eggs 10/24 showed development another four look iffy but I'm not culling anyone yet! Very happy to see development after their long journey from Florida:D! Thinking I will check again around day nine.:weee

Day five of incubation in the 9300 with fan, noticing its hard to keep temperature regulated at lower than 60% humidity levels, this will be great come hatch time as it functions well in the 60% + humidity level. But not so great now since I'm trying to keep humidity at 50-55% range. It does not loose humidity as fast as I expected it too either, even with both plugs out and the fan. The fan is small and spins at very low rpm I can barely feel it when I put my hand over it. This model would be a great hatcher if a person was looking to have two seperate units.
did u put any water in? I didnt put in any water at all until day 18. My humidity stayed between 40-50

[/I
Day five and I just candled the Silkie eggs 10/24 showed development another four look iffy but I'm not culling anyone yet! Very happy to see development after their long journey from Florida:D! Thinking I will check again around day nine.:weee

all my candling was iffy at best. I had a crappy flashlight tho. Would have been better off with a bic cigarette lighter lol

Yes I put about a 1/4 cup of water in it at the beginning, finally quit raining here and the ambient humidity is dropping as well as in the incubator. 55% now, temp spikes when it gets below 60% so I've really had to watch, would be happier if it was closer to 50%. The air cells had grown though. The "candler" that came with incubator was a small LED flashlight like the freebies from Harbor Freight , except its plastic with a small hose gasket in the rim around lens, fancy, LOL! That little light works good if I cup my thumb and index finger around it then place the egg in cup. Here's hoping I can keep them growing right, would really like some little fluff balls running around here!

I picked up one of these Wednesday and I've been running it since then. I was worried at first because the instructions said the ideal ambient operating temp was 70 and I keep my house pretty warm in the summer (around 78) but it appears to be holding a stable temp. I will lose a degree every once in a while but it comes back up to temp quickly, and more importantly my digital thermometer hasn't registered a spike yet.

Without water the humidity ranges from 30% - 55% depending on if the A/C is on, so I think I may do the first 18 days without water and then add some at lockdown to bump it up for hatching.

I'll be setting eggs this weekend, it will be my first time with an incubator. I have a broody sitting on some eggs since last weekend. My thoughts are if she hatches what she has and does well with them, I may try to give her whatever chicks come from the incubator to raise. :)

Back
Top Bottom