Little Giant Incubation Experiment - Day 21 - Hatch Day!

Which model Little Giant do you prefer?

• Model 9200 (Manual controls)

Votes: 24 44.4%
  • Model 9300 (Digital controls)

Votes: 30 55.6%

• Total voters

This is whats come out of my incubator so far! I have about 30 more eggs left in the 'bator still working on hatching and 20 more eggs under broodies in the coop (I have no idea whats going on with those, I haven't checked them).
When I got home from work last night, there were a ton of chicks that had hatched, and my humidity was at 93%. There was so much condensation on the windows that it looked like it was going to start raining in there. So, I opened it up again and removed all the chicks, the humidity has been staying around 75-78%. My cracked egg hatched with its yolk not fully absorbed and didn't survive the night, I guess thats how it goes sometimes. The rest of the chicks are hatching quick and clean though, and they're all very active and healthy
smile.png

This is whats come out of my incubator so far! I have about 30 more eggs left in the 'bator still working on hatching and 20 more eggs under broodies in the coop (I have no idea whats going on with those, I haven't checked them).
When I got home from work last night, there were a ton of chicks that had hatched, and my humidity was at 93%. There was so much condensation on the windows that it looked like it was going to start raining in there. So, I opened it up again and removed all the chicks, the humidity has been staying around 75-78%. My cracked egg hatched with its yolk not fully absorbed and didn't survive the night, I guess thats how it goes sometimes. The rest of the chicks are hatching quick and clean though, and they're all very active and healthy
smile.png

AMAZING!!! They look Great!!

smile.png
What an adorable little box of chickie nuggets! Good luck with the rest!
love.gif

smile.png

Yea!!!!! I am so happy for you! Look at all those fluffies!!!

Thanks everyone, I've been pleased with my results so far! There are 5 chicks in the incubator already, they're popping out like popcorn!

narragansett1- if that question was meant for me, no. I have a 9200 and a 9300, and they're both still air. I've considered adding a fan many times, I just never have.

smile.png
Yay!! Congrats. They are adorable.

Amy how did your hatch turn out?
I started with 42 at set. And 100% fertility, but had 6 early (before day 10 quitters, one due to a crack (I have no idea how it got there) ) So we went into lock down with 36 viable strong eggs of which 33 hatched. One of the 33 hatched way too soon, before it was ready and literally popped out of the tip top of the egg with a ruptured yolk and lots of bloody membrane still attatched. He fought hard all day, but lost the battle. He was one of the three silkie eggs that were in the clutch. The other two did not hatch as they were extremely shrink wrapped. (Between lockdown and day 20 the air cell doubled in size and once it was drawn down...it was all over. I know this because I candled day 20 because almost all of my eggs had hatched or at least pipped, they hadn't). So we had 32 of the 33. The other egg that did not hatch the chick just had not turned. So 33 hatchers out of lockdown 36 and only one after hatch death. I'm pretty happy with that. You figure an overall rate of 76% and a lockdown/hatch rate of 92%. (It's the lockdown/hatch rate that I look at overall, so yay!!!!)

I started with 42 at set. And 100% fertility, but had 6 early (before day 10 quitters, one due to a crack (I have no idea how it got there) ) So we went into lock down with 36 viable strong eggs of which 33 hatched. One of the 33 hatched way too soon, before it was ready and literally popped out of the tip top of the egg with a ruptured yolk and lots of bloody membrane still attatched. He fought hard all day, but lost the battle. He was one of the three silkie eggs that were in the clutch. The other two did not hatch as they were extremely shrink wrapped. (Between lockdown and day 20 the air cell doubled in size and once it was drawn down...it was all over. I know this because I candled day 20 because almost all of my eggs had hatched or at least pipped, they hadn't). So we had 32 of the 33. The other egg that did not hatch the chick just had not turned. So 33 hatchers out of lockdown 36 and only one after hatch death. I'm pretty happy with that. You figure an overall rate of 76% and a lockdown/hatch rate of 92%. (It's the lockdown/hatch rate that I look at overall, so yay!!!!)
That brings up a couple of interesting points, and I'm going to ask because I think it could help all of us.
First, that is an incredible hatch rate that I have never topped, even in my super duper Brinsea
wink.png

Now, on the shrink wrap/no-hatchers. I wonder why, with all of your success with the other eggs, that the silkies were the ones not to make it. I can only set 24 eggs, so I normally only set one breed at a time. If I could set 48 eggs, I would set 3 or 4 breeds. Is it possible that incubating larger eggs has an effect on the bantams? If most hatched on day 20, is it possible that your temps may have been a little high, or spiked at some point, and the silkie eggs couldn't handle it as well as the others? I would probably also use the shrink wrapping as an argument against your admitted excessive candling, but since your other eggs fared so well, it could just all be coincidence.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not giving you a hard time at all. That was an amazing hatch, especially in a still-air. I just have the kind of mind that wants to question everything.
And finally: I can't believe you haven't found that other thread yet

Back
Top Bottom