Little Giant Incubation Experiment - Day 21 - Hatch Day!

Which model Little Giant do you prefer?

• Model 9200 (Manual controls)

Votes: 24 44.4%
  • Model 9300 (Digital controls)

Votes: 30 55.6%

• Total voters
Sitting at day 22... candled last night and saw movement and thicker veins.. Chicks appear to NOT have piped internally . Added more water.. and I will impatiently wait... this could be my first hatch..so eggcited!!

Lock down on my next batch is May 1st...So I really hope that these guys get moving by then!

Here are some pictures from my pickup today ( my pet chicken) ... didn't loose one chick thank goodness!

I have included pics of our Three Mystery chicks I ordered... they are supposed to be all female.

What are your guesses???

This is what they *could* be according to the website: They couldn't of made it more difficult- with this LONG list!! LOL

• Buckeye
  • Ancona
  • Easter Egger
  • Ameraucana (Wheaten, Blue, Black, Splash)
  • Black Sumatra
  • Andalusian (Blue, Black, or Splash)
  • Appenzeller Spitzhauben
  • Sicilian Buttercup
  • Salmon Faverolles
  • Golden Campine
  • Buff Chantecler
  • Blue Laced Red Wyandotte
  • Barnevelder
  • Brahma (Buff Brahma, Light Brahma)
  • Marans (Silver Cuckoo, Golden Cuckoo, Black Copper, Blue Copper, Blue Splash, White)
  • Delaware
  • Dominique
    • Columbian Wyandotte
    • Dark Cornish
    • Cochin
    • Welsummer
    • White Sultan
    • Polish (Assorted colors)
    • Exchequer Leghorn
    • Speckled Sussex
    • Hamburg (Assorted colors)
    • Lakenvelder (Silver, Golden)
    • Partridge Penedesenca
    • Jersey Giant
    • Blue Orpington
    • Silver Grey Dorking
    • Egyptian Fayoumi
    • Black Langshans

Chick 1

chick 2

Chick 3

Well! I have 6 chicks so far, I guess I didn't ruin them after all with my 97 degree first few days! But after that I had them at 100.5 the whole time (watched it like a hawk). I have one more pip, then we'll see. Not a great hatch rate out of 13, but I'll take it for a first time!! Now.... They were all roudy for a bit and now they are all asleep. Is that normal? Is it too hot? My brooder is set to 95-96
Thanks!
First time nervous chick mommy!

Olgacrawford

Yes that's normal . With the heat just watch how they act . If they go to the complete other side and they're all bunched up away from the heat lamp you need to raise it, if they're all bunched up Under it then you need to lower it because are probably a little cold. If they're comfortable they may still be together but they'll be a little bit more spread out and you can tell they're happy. Sometimes when they sleep will be all sprawled out on laying in positions, when they crash they crash. Poor babies get tired. I tell my husband sometimes, they sleep like their dead because of the such odd positions they'll fall asleep.

Last edited:
Well! I have 6 chicks so far, I guess I didn't ruin them after all with my 97 degree first few days! But after that I had them at 100.5 the whole time (watched it like a hawk). I have one more pip, then we'll see. Not a great hatch rate out of 13, but I'll take it for a first time!! Now.... They were all roudy for a bit and now they are all asleep. Is that normal? Is it too hot? My brooder is set to 95-96
Thanks!

Congrats!! It is very normal for them to be rowdy, then all lay down. You can even watch them just fall, like they died all of a sudden, but then you see them breathe. Totally normal!
As far as the brooder, its best to have areas of different temps. Then you just watch where they lay. If they all lay under the heat, they are too cool. If they all go to the cooler area, then the heated end is too warm. If they are scattered somewhat, then its fine! They will let you know! You just don't want them piling up! Laying all together and snuggling is fine, just not piled up where ones on the bottom can suffocate. Good luck!!

Olgacrawford

Yes that's normal . With the heat just watch how they act . If they go to the complete other side and they're all bunched up away from the heat lamp you need to raise it, if they're all bunched up Under it then you need to lower it because are probably a little cold. If they're comfortable they may still be together but they'll be a little bit more spread out and you can tell they're happy. Sometimes when they sleep will be all sprawled out on laying in positions, when they crash they crash. Poor babies get tired. I tell my husband sometimes, they sleep like their dead because of the such odd positions they'll fall asleep.
Let me clarify something: When she is saying "you need to raise it" or "you need to lower it" she is talking about the actual lamp/light itself and not the temp.
wink.png

Chick face plants are the funniest. Well, after you've had your first heart attack because you think it's dropped dead it's funny. Walking over to the brooder to see a lifeless chick face down will freak you out. Like everyone said. chick narcolepsy is perfectly normally, you just have to get used to it. My favorite is when they fall asleep standing up and their head sllooowwwwlly drops until it looks like they are going to de a headstand...lol

Thanks!
Is your whole brooder that temp or just one end? Only one end should be heated so that the chicks can move in and out of the heat as they need it.
Congrats on the newbies!

I'm in full hatch, between 3 AM and 6 AM found one dead. I don't know it if was one that hatched after 3 or before. Wonder if it was just weak or if they slept on top of it and smothered it? Other wise al most all of my LG babies are hatched. I did more some of them for hatching to another bator due to some stability problems.

Let me clarify something:  When she is saying "you need to raise it" or "you need to lower it" she is talking about the actual lamp/light itself and not the temp.  ;)

Chick face plants are the funniest. Well, after you've had your first heart attack because you think it's dropped dead it's funny. Walking over to the brooder to see a lifeless chick face down will freak you out.  Like everyone said. chick narcolepsy is perfectly normally, you just have to get used to it. My favorite is when they fall asleep standing up and their head sllooowwwwlly drops until it looks like they are going to de a headstand...lol
Being pretty new here, and not yet raising the baby chicks, when I saw one sleeping at TSC, I immediately told a staff member it was dead.of course they checked asap and informed me it was just asleep. Probably thought, "crazy old broad".haha Never too old to learn though:)

Being pretty new here, and not yet raising the baby chicks, when I saw one sleeping at TSC, I immediately told a staff member it was dead.of course they checked asap and informed me it was just asleep. Probably thought, "crazy old broad".haha Never too old to learn though:)
LOL. It's not hard mistaking a sleeping chick for a dead one. In the beginning I gave myself more than one heart attack when I checked on them...lol Now, it's like pfft, nothing wrong. (I do still make sure they get up though...lol Just in case. lol)

Back
Top Bottom