Little Giant Incubation Experiment - Day 21 - Hatch Day!

Which model Little Giant do you prefer?

• Model 9200 (Manual controls)

Votes: 24 44.4%
  • Model 9300 (Digital controls)

Votes: 30 55.6%

• Total voters
[COLOR=333333]We are hatching duck eggs for the first time. We have had a pretty successful hatch except for one. It externally pipped three days ago. We keep helping it because it isn't making any progress and it's trying to, but everytime we do something we see blood WHAT DO WE DOOOOOO??????[/COLOR]

Three days is a long time, but do you still hear it? See it moving? If its still bleeding, then its not ready. I had one take 42 hours from initial pip to get out. Not really sure what to tell you, except if it doesn't appear to be in total distress, I would wait. But that's just me. Maybe a quick misting with warm water?? I feel for you. Someone else will suggest something.

You haven't set your eggs, and you are trying to hit 65-70% humidity? Please don't.

Your basement should have some relative humidity to work with. Try setting the eggs without extra water, without the humidifier. Hold off on setting eggs until you again have a stable temperature in the incubator. If your basement is below 65, you may need that space heater.

Too much humidity through incubation is not good. 40% is a safe starting number, and it shouldn't take heroic measures to achieve.

I have 2 incubators... one that I run dry- Hovabator... and it is about 40... and the other... LG9300 that i hatch in.... that is the one that shrinkwrapped ALL my chicks the last time... so this time extra precaution is going to be taken. :)

Hey I was just looking at my thermometer/hygrometer in the 9300 for the first time in a week both of the thermometers read the same temps. Weird wonder if I should worry. Also this morning the brinsea with my Ancona eggs in it was at 19% humidity so I added some water to the resevoir headed off to work& hoped the best now it's reading 68%.
I've had that happen to me once over the last 21 days... and i was like WOAH! What is happening!! Then the built in one dropped the ball as usual!

Back
Top Bottom