Little Giant Incubation Experiment - Day 21 - Hatch Day!

Which model Little Giant do you prefer?

• Model 9200 (Manual controls)

Votes: 24 44.4%
  • Model 9300 (Digital controls)

Votes: 30 55.6%

• Total voters
Mine is off the other way, which does make sense as my chicks hatched early. I'm just surprised they survived with it so far off! It's now settled at reading about 3 degrees higher than the LG thermometer & I stuck a probe style meat thermometer in there for a third opinion & it's reading very close to the Brinsea, so at this point I'm inclined to trust it.

Where is your probe laying? I cut a single cup out of an egg carton, bread-tied it to a cup in the turner, cut a couple slits in two sides of the carton cup, and laid the probe across it. The wire is in the slits and the probe is perched out about top-of-the-egg high. Its not touching anything, and its near the center of the bator.

Where is your probe laying? I cut a single cup out of an egg carton, bread-tied it to a cup in the turner, cut a couple slits in two sides of the carton cup, and laid the probe across it. The wire is in the slits and the probe is perched out about top-of-the-egg high. Its not touching anything, and its near the center of the bator.

Both my Brinsea & meat thermometer probes are at top of the egg height located at opposite sides off the bator off center a bit because I didn't want to be too close to either the heater or sides.

I am so disappointed... out of 12 Araucuna eggs.. I candled them tonight and 9 were clear. :( I cracked them open and NO BULLS EYE... :( I then did a double check on my maran eggs that are supposed to go into Lockdown on Saturday... and I had to toss out 4- Quitters looks like day 10-

I am down to 3 Marans- and 2 Araucuna :( I'm not even sure if these guys are viable... as I didn't see any movement from the Marans.. but the egg is full.... and the both the Aracuna looks like they have blood rings around it.

to boot... my day 19 Maran in lockdown has shown no sign of piping!

On the flip side ALL my silkie eggs have great veining!

I am so disappointed... out of 12 Araucuna eggs.. I candled them tonight and 9 were clear. :( I cracked them open and NO BULLS EYE... :( I then did a double check on my maran eggs that are supposed to go into Lockdown on Saturday... and I had to toss out 4- Quitters looks like day 10-

I am down to 3 Marans- and 2 Araucuna :( I'm not even sure if these guys are viable... as I didn't see any movement from the Marans.. but the egg is full.... and the both the Aracuna looks like they have blood rings around it.

to boot... my day 19 Maran in lockdown has shown no sign of piping!

On the flip side ALL my silkie eggs have great veining!
hugs.gif
Go sillkies. Someone's gotta come through for you. Sorry to hear about the rest.

So, where I am...I had ANOTHER chick get hurt by that blasted fan, this one more serious. Almost scalped the poor guy. I'll be surprised if he doesn't end up blind in one eye now. What the what is going on??? Ok, so 17 in the bator. Healthy, strong (even with the fan hit chick). 2 in the bator that were malepositioned, pipped the pointed end, out but not as strong yet. One in the bator that just hatched. One in C.I.C.U. (my silkie that hatched before he should have) that there's a high chance won't make it, but darn that bugger is strong. If he makes it I'm naming it Samson. That leaves 15 in there. 3 of them are goners. 1 is still alive but I'm 99.9% sure he is upside down and probably will not make it to pip. That leaves 11 that I fully expect to hatch and out of the 11- 9 have pipped externally, 2 have pipped internally. My lockdown number was 36 going in, expecting 32 to hatch. I had 42 set w/6 being early quitters by day 9. So Overall average would be 76% from numbers set and 89% of number that went into lockdown, if the other 11 make it out. Whew, been a long 24 hours and not done yet!!

Amy, I am sorry about your chick and the fan. I quit hatching my turkeys in the LG for the same reason. Take a piece of craft mesh (like others are using for egg dividers) and zip tie it to the fan.

Amy, I am sorry about your chick and the fan. I quit hatching my turkeys in the LG for the same reason. Take a piece of craft mesh (like others are using for egg dividers) and zip tie it to the fan.
That's what I was thinking-some kind of mesh. I have never had a problem with chicks hitting it, now 2 in one hatch and I just told a member that was concerned I'd never had a problem. Augh! And thank you.

Amy,

I'm sorry your chick was hurt. I hope for better days and I hope he gets alright.

Last edited:
"So, where I am...I had ANOTHER chick get hurt by that blasted fan, this one more serious. Almost scalped the poor guy. I'll be surprised if he doesn't end up blind in one eye now."
Had the same thing happened to me few years back.
I got some old window screen and cut out a small piece then super glued it to my fan. No more problems!

" 2 have pipped internally"
How do you tell if they've pipped internally?

"So Overall average would be 76% from numbers set and 89% of number that went into lockdown, if the other 11 make it out."
Hay that's great... I'll take 76% all day long :drool

Whew, been a long 24 hours and not done yet!!
Yep the last few hours seem to be my hardest as well. :fl

I really don't know why the 9300 didn't hatch as well, my guess is that the mercury thermometer I had to use was on the low side so the spikes on the 9200 for long durations compensated for that. So far, all but three hatched in the 9200 and after checking for sounds I eggtopsied and they were dead within the egg. I can still hear one peeping in the 9300, so I'll leave it alone for now: quite a few eggs left in it. On a second note, the eggs that were "Rhode Island Red" we're anything but! There were some barred rocks, solid blacks, even a few whites... Guess that's what you get when you pay $5 a dozen. :lau
I'm up to 29 chicks, but I will have to cull two of them... One has bugged eyes and I researched all night and haven't heard a story of one making it yet, likely swelling in the brain. You can tell something's wrong, he's slow and constantly falling asleep while standing. The other had splayed legs and I tried to make a splint, his legs are stiff now and he can barley walk. It's gonna kill me; I would always (and still do) stop every time I see a turtle in the road to move it across because I would cry if I saw one smashed on the road. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but here goes to researching on BYC the next few hours.

Other than that, I have 27 beautiful chicks and couldn't ask for anything better... I gotta feeling I'll have some more eggs loaded in a week or two. I'll post pictures later. :D

So, how did you conclude your test with the incubators? What was your percentage hatch in each incubator? :/

So Amy that's alot of good news with just a little bad news, so yes I would take it! Congrats!!
And WalnutHill that's a great suggestion with the plastic mesh. That is what covers mine and I didn't even think to suggest it lol The whole inside of my lid is covered with it and the fan is up in there.

Back
Top Bottom