Little Giant Incubation Experiment - Day 21 - Hatch Day!

Which model Little Giant do you prefer?

• Model 9200 (Manual controls)

Votes: 24 44.4%
  • Model 9300 (Digital controls)

Votes: 30 55.6%

• Total voters
All my girls are covered by an EE roo. Jack takes his job seriously! I boosted the humidity with an other sponge, and they started popping out like popcorn. So far, there are 4 under the HP, and 7 more waiting to be pulled. There are a couple of mal-positioned babies that will have to be helped if they are to survive, and the membrane baby is still with us. A good showing of variety with this hatch. I have yet to see a male sex link. I think there's one female. Several Pioneer crosses. I'm hoping that their feather quality is better than their mother's. In the first batch, of the ones I kept, I think there are only 2 males. And, they are sexlinks with the Silver laced feather pattern. I don't know what the female version of that cross looks like, if indeed I even have hatched one. My friend took all the BSL males from the first hatch, as he wanted some meat birds to raise up. He also ended up with all of the Jack x BSL chicks, so will have some females in that grouping. Been a long day, gonna be a long night.

Set my duck eggs Monday but took a peak to get a reference point. . Not much can be seen this early (I was surprised how much easier they were to see thru vs my chicken eggs) however I found 2 things. .. 1 egg with small Crack that appears the same as the other eggs (pretty defined yolk) and 1 egg with small crack that looks almost scrambled inside... no defined yolk and kinda cloudy looking. Do I get rid of them? Keep them?

You yankees don't take that to be as arrogant as it sounded. Down here "really good looking" just means you still have all your teeth

Haha I'm no Yankee, did you forget I'm in west by god virginie? I actually live north of the line now, but I'm southern born and bred, baby! But I do have most of my own teeth heehee

Set my duck eggs Monday but took a peak to get a reference point. . Not much can be seen this early (I was surprised how much easier they were to see thru vs my chicken eggs) however I found 2 things. .. 1 egg with small Crack that appears the same as the other eggs (pretty defined yolk) and 1 egg with small crack that looks almost scrambled inside... no defined yolk and kinda cloudy looking. Do I get rid of them? Keep them?

My duck eggs were a whole lot easier to see through than my chickens too! And wait till you see the activity from about day 10-14!!! You will think they are gonna tap out right in your hand!

Can't tell alot from your pics (on my phone) but the first one looks ok, you could try some wax on the crack? Second one looks awful! Lol but like I said, I cant tell for sure.

All my girls are covered by an EE roo.  Jack takes his job seriously!  I boosted the humidity with an other sponge, and they started popping out like popcorn. So far, there are 4 under the HP, and 7 more waiting to be pulled. There are a couple of mal-positioned babies that will have to be helped if they are to survive, and the membrane baby is still with us. A good showing of variety with this hatch. I have yet to see a male sex link. I think there's one female. Several Pioneer crosses. I'm hoping that their feather quality is better than their mother's. In the first batch, of the ones I kept, I think there are only 2 males. And, they are sexlinks with the Silver laced feather pattern. I don't know what the female version of that cross looks like, if indeed I even have hatched one. My friend took all the BSL males from the first hatch, as he wanted some meat birds to raise up. He also ended up with all of the Jack x BSL chicks, so will have some females in that grouping. Been a long day, gonna be a long night.

Continued luck to you. I wish I had your breed knowledge! I can't keep all these chickens straight! Lol

It was a good night: Current hatch numbers: Set 26 eggs. Eliminated one clear, one mid term quitter, and one stinker. 23 to lock down. One was the membrane chick. I worked on that one a bit last night, but the inner membrane, while intact had red blood vessels. So, I wrapped it in a wet paper towel, and set it in a corner of the bator, and went to bed. I expected it would be stiff when I got up this morning. Of course, I couldn't wait that long, and got up in the middle of the night. The paper towel shroud was empty! I couldn't tell which chick it was. There were 2 of them lurching around in there. This morning, there are a total of 6, and a good sized pip. There are 3 left. Last night when I checked them, 2 of the 3 were tapping. This is turning out to be a great hatch. I think the defining elements are setting them to hatch in egg cartons b/c the air cells were so small, and getting the humidity up over 70%. I've had steam on my window! It seems that when the humidity is way up there, that's when a bunch of them pop out all at once. Also, the malpositioned pip hatched without any intervention from me. I just pulled back a bit of membrane at the pip, and set it back on it's side instead of in a carton.

Back
Top Bottom