Little Giant Incubation Experiment - Day 21 - Hatch Day!

Which model Little Giant do you prefer?

• Model 9200 (Manual controls)

Votes: 24 44.4%
  • Model 9300 (Digital controls)

Votes: 30 55.6%

• Total voters
It was a good night: Current hatch numbers: Set 26 eggs. Eliminated one clear, one mid term quitter, and one stinker. 23 to lock down. One was the membrane chick. I worked on that one a bit last night, but the inner membrane, while intact had red blood vessels. So, I wrapped it in a wet paper towel, and set it in a corner of the bator, and went to bed. I expected it would be stiff when I got up this morning. Of course, I couldn't wait that long, and got up in the middle of the night. The paper towel shroud was empty! I couldn't tell which chick it was. There were 2 of them lurching around in there. This morning, there are a total of 6, and a good sized pip. There are 3 left. Last night when I checked them, 2 of the 3 were tapping. This is turning out to be a great hatch. I think the defining elements are setting them to hatch in egg cartons b/c the air cells were so small, and getting the humidity up over 70%. I've had steam on my window! It seems that when the humidity is way up there, that's when a bunch of them pop out all at once. Also, the malpositioned pip hatched without any intervention from me. I just pulled back a bit of membrane at the pip, and set it back on it's side instead of in a carton.

Congrats! You should buy a lottery ticket today!
wink.png

It was a good night: Current hatch numbers: Set 26 eggs. Eliminated one clear, one mid term quitter, and one stinker. 23 to lock down. One was the membrane chick. I worked on that one a bit last night, but the inner membrane, while intact had red blood vessels. So, I wrapped it in a wet paper towel, and set it in a corner of the bator, and went to bed. I expected it would be stiff when I got up this morning. Of course, I couldn't wait that long, and got up in the middle of the night. The paper towel shroud was empty! I couldn't tell which chick it was. There were 2 of them lurching around in there. This morning, there are a total of 6, and a good sized pip. There are 3 left. Last night when I checked them, 2 of the 3 were tapping. This is turning out to be a great hatch. I think the defining elements are setting them to hatch in egg cartons b/c the air cells were so small, and getting the humidity up over 70%. I've had steam on my window! It seems that when the humidity is way up there, that's when a bunch of them pop out all at once. Also, the malpositioned pip hatched without any intervention from me. I just pulled back a bit of membrane at the pip, and set it back on it's side instead of in a carton.
clap.gif

just noticed one of them rolled one my peepers against the wet wash cloth and it drowned its beak was out, no movement or chirping
sad.png
sad.png
Probably covered the pip hole cutting off the air.

Oh goodness, I'm so sorry.
hugs.gif

And personally, I'd consider changing the wash cloth setup before I would go with hatching in cartons, but that's just me. I'm not saying your wash cloth was bad, it just turned out to be bad luck. Maybe put something in front of it so they can't roll to it.

Last edited:
Oh goodness, I'm so sorry.  :hugs

And personally, I'd consider changing the wash cloth setup before I would go with hatching in cartons, but that's just me.   I'm not saying your wash cloth was bad, it just turned out to be bad luck.  Maybe put something in front of it so they can't roll to it.
I'm open for any suggestions just really sucks it made it that far, had already started zipping, and I opened it and it looked pretty healthy

Back
Top Bottom