Little Giant Incubation Experiment - Day 21 - Hatch Day!

Which model Little Giant do you prefer?

• Model 9200 (Manual controls)

Votes: 24 44.4%
  • Model 9300 (Digital controls)

Votes: 30 55.6%

• Total voters
Hadn't thought about circulation.  I guess that's why people cut the bottom out of egg cartons?  But I've seen some who don't cut them, so they aren't getting any circulation at that point either.  And yes, drilling a bunch of holes in the thing seems like it would help.  I don't know... like I said, it was just a random thought... lol
I think that's a fantastic idea. My only concern would be the slick surface

I have not tried hatching in the cartons. Every time I have shipped eggs they always (not all of them) pip on the bottom and sides. I used an egg turner so they are positioned up the whole time of incubation, until lock down. If I would have used cartons they most likely would have been gonners. I have never had non shipped eggs pip wrong yet, so maybe with those it would be ok. One exception was when the bator was over full and I had to hand turn eggs. I had put some of the non shipped eggs on their side. Those also have problems with pipping in the wrong place.

I have noticed shipped eggs and hand turned eggs (ones on their side) have pipped wrong for me.

I have yet to notice that with non shipped eggs place in the turner.

I think the pipping on the wrong end is mostly due to the size of the chick in comparison to the egg. When I did my vitamin experiment, my hatch rate was down, with a lot of malpositioned chicks. I surmise that it was b/c the chicks were too big to turn to get into good pip position.
Hadn't thought about circulation. I guess that's why people cut the bottom out of egg cartons? But I've seen some who don't cut them, so they aren't getting any circulation at that point either. And yes, drilling a bunch of holes in the thing seems like it would help. I don't know... like I said, it was just a random thought... lol
I did not cut the bottoms out when using cartons during the first 14 days on previous hatches (I laid them flat after day 14). However, after a bator re-model with water in the base under the wire, I did knock out the bottoms for the hatch. Did it backwards this time. Flat until lock down, then upright in cartons after that.

I think that's a fantastic idea. My only concern would be the slick surface

Rough it up with some sand paper? Not too rough, just enough to take the slickness out of it. And the holes should help too. How big should the holes be and how many.... oh so many questions....

So day 19.......... paitiently waiting for that first pip..............and nothing! Lol! I am trying to not stare at it. Lol! So I'm busy cleaning house.....after a few hours I go back upstairs and hope to hear cheeping, but nothing! Lol!

So day 19.......... paitiently waiting for that first pip..............and nothing! Lol! I am trying to not stare at it. Lol! So I'm busy cleaning house.....after a few hours I go back upstairs and hope to hear cheeping, but nothing! Lol!

Oh you are in or a loooooong few days... LOL The good news is... the whole house might get cleaned! :) Good luck!

I've never incubated one.  What kind is it?  I hear ducks are nearly impossible!

No clue what kind. .. the lady I got them from had all sorts of breeds and said all the eggs virtually look the same.

This is it. . You can see the two yolks

Back
Top Bottom