Little Giant Incubation Experiment - Day 21 - Hatch Day!

Which model Little Giant do you prefer?

• Model 9200 (Manual controls)

Votes: 24 44.4%
  • Model 9300 (Digital controls)

Votes: 30 55.6%

• Total voters
My second and final hatch of the year is over. This was the best hatch ever. Set 26. Eliminated one clear, one mid term quitter, one stinker. 23 to lock down. Moved 4 to spend the night with my broody. One hatched under her, one was stripped of shell, but left in an intact leathery membrane, one external pip, and I think one internal pip. Mama Broody decided that she was in love with the idea of sitting on her golf balls, but decided that taking care of screaming babies was not to her liking. So she abandoned the nest, left the egglets and one screaming very cold baby. They were all transferred back to the bator. So, I had to assist the membrane baby, and just finished an other assist. This one was stuck at pip, with his wing stuck over his face, and couldn't move any more! The minute I picked him up, and started chipping shell, he started yelling and struggling. I chipped his head free, freed up his wing, eased the membrane away from his face, and put him back in the bator to finish the job on his own. There is one egg left that has died sometime within the last 24 hours (I think) Float test, tapping, candling all negative for signs of life. So, final count: 22/23 set/26 total. The color mix of this group is awesome. I think I can identify the female sex links of the EE x SLW mix. (this group has some brown chicks, where the last group had some silver laced chicks). Bator will be shut down and cleaned tomorrow.

My second and final hatch of the year is over.  This was the best hatch ever. Set 26.  Eliminated one clear, one mid term quitter, one stinker.  23 to lock down.  Moved 4 to spend the night with my broody.  One hatched under her, one was stripped of shell, but left in an intact leathery membrane, one external pip, and I think one internal pip.  Mama Broody decided that she was in love with the idea of sitting on her golf balls, but decided that taking care of screaming babies was not to her liking.  So she abandoned the nest, left the egglets and one screaming very cold baby.  They were all transferred back to the bator.  So, I had to assist the membrane baby, and just finished an other assist.  This one was stuck at pip, with his wing stuck over his face, and couldn't move any more!  The minute I picked him up, and started chipping shell, he started yelling and struggling.  I chipped his head free, freed up his wing, eased the membrane away from his face, and put him back in the bator to finish the job on his own.  There is one egg left that has died sometime within the last 24 hours (I think)  Float test, tapping, candling all negative for signs of life.  So, final count:  22/23 set/26 total.  The color mix of this group is awesome.  I think I can identify the female sex links of the EE x SLW mix.  (this group has some brown chicks, where the last group had some silver laced chicks).  Bator will be shut down and cleaned tomorrow.  

That's great .. Congratulations

My second and final hatch of the year is over. This was the best hatch ever. Set 26. Eliminated one clear, one mid term quitter, one stinker. 23 to lock down. Moved 4 to spend the night with my broody. One hatched under her, one was stripped of shell, but left in an intact leathery membrane, one external pip, and I think one internal pip. Mama Broody decided that she was in love with the idea of sitting on her golf balls, but decided that taking care of screaming babies was not to her liking. So she abandoned the nest, left the egglets and one screaming very cold baby. They were all transferred back to the bator. So, I had to assist the membrane baby, and just finished an other assist. This one was stuck at pip, with his wing stuck over his face, and couldn't move any more! The minute I picked him up, and started chipping shell, he started yelling and struggling. I chipped his head free, freed up his wing, eased the membrane away from his face, and put him back in the bator to finish the job on his own. There is one egg left that has died sometime within the last 24 hours (I think) Float test, tapping, candling all negative for signs of life. So, final count: 22/23 set/26 total. The color mix of this group is awesome. I think I can identify the female sex links of the EE x SLW mix. (this group has some brown chicks, where the last group had some silver laced chicks). Bator will be shut down and cleaned tomorrow.
That's great, congratulations!!

Ok, I was going to start a new thread, but then figured I was being silly, so I'll just let you guys calm me down....

I'm at work, but I work with a neighbor. Her daughter just called and said our power is out. I texted hubby and he said it was out down the road from us when he left home too. So hopefully its a big enough outage that they will get it fixed soon. But this means my 2-week old chicks are without their heat lamp. They are still inside. Its supposed to be in the 80's today, but the a/c is on in the house, so the heat outside won't help the chicks much. I actually lowered to a 100-watt bulb last night anyway, I think they will be fine for several hours. Someone please just tell me they will be fine... (chances are good that I'll leave work by noon anyway!)

Its alot of fun following this thread. I have an old 9300 with a wafer thermostat. Ive had it for over 20 years. This year I finally got an egg turner for it.That sure made life easier. I just have a problem getting the water in the channels because I cant see them because the turner is in the way.
My 9300 holds the temp perfectly during the whole hatch. I keep my humidity at about 48% by just using one plug. A few days before hatch, I put the other plug in. The kids hatch, I leave them in the incubator until they are rested and moving around then pop them into the brooder. It has worked this way since I had my first incubator in high school 50 years ago. That one was a big round metal one. My hatches are 60 to 90% hatch rate. Just start with good clean eggs, let the incubator stabilize for 24 hours, keep the resevior full and use warm water to fill it. Check your temp with a flashlight and dont open the lid except for water or turning. Do not be afraid to help a chick in distress. I have saved many by helping a weaker chick. Just use your finger nail to pull some of the shell away from around the pip. Thats advice from an old lady who still loves to hatch eggs. My old 9300 is full of eggs right now! Have fun with your hatching and just relax and enjoy your new babies.

They'll be fine :)
I split most of my last hatch into separate brooders when they were around 2-3 weeks old. My last hatch consisted of RIRs, WLs, Silkies and Sizzles. The RIRs and WLs quickly outgrew the Silkies and Sizzles, so I moved them to the intermediate brooder. It doesn't have heat. They've been just fine, even when temps have gone crazy and dipped down into the 40s at night.

Oh, and, I was supposed to lockdown my eggs that are due the 10th last night. I didn't, I had a looooong day at work and was just feeling lazy. I waffled on it before bed last night, and told myself "it'll be fine, I'll do it in the morning". Well, I got up a bit ago, went straight to the 'bator, and theres a Silkie going for a slow ride on the egg turner. Oopsie :gig :oops: I candled real quick while I moved everyone to the 9200. Two of the turkey eggs are internally pipped and so are a few of my shipped eggs :woot
They're in the hatcher now, and the humidity is climbing.

Back
Top Bottom