Little Giant Incubation Experiment - Day 21 - Hatch Day!

Which model Little Giant do you prefer?

• Model 9200 (Manual controls)

Votes: 24 44.4%
  • Model 9300 (Digital controls)

Votes: 30 55.6%

• Total voters
I put 12 eggs in... 3 didn't make it... and 7 are out running around the brooder doing great.... The last two are in the bator with good sized pips!

I hope to get everyone out by tomorrow because my Serama eggs were Supposed to go in lockdown today!

Michele

Edit... to add that the last two hatched and are doing well.... so that makes 9 out of 12 that were set!!! So Happy!!

Wonderful! So happy for you! Post some pics if you can

So I'm on day 10 with my duck eggs... I candled them last night and saw great veining and movement in 11 of the 12. My double yolker has no veins or signs of life. ... probably better that way. Duck eggs are intense. .. they are so easy to see thru it's fun. And I'm thrilled to report I got my humidity and temp thing figured out so I only have to mess with the bator every 4 days or so. Disposable diapers have been my savior for humidity levels.

Awww, sorry about the double yolker, but I agree its probably better that it didn't develop. And aren't duck eggs fun?? The next few days are the best for seeing lots of action inside there!! They seem to be so much more active than chickens. Good luck!

Alright so,Im in lockdown and Im feeling unsure about my humidity level right now. I have all the water reservoirs full plus a wet sponge in there, but my humidity has reading a steady 42%. The windows of my bator also have condensation on them, so Im wondering if its reading the levels wrong?

Alright so,Im in lockdown and Im feeling unsure about my humidity level right now. I have all the water reservoirs full plus a wet sponge in there, but my humidity has reading a steady 42%. The windows of my bator also have condensation on them, so Im wondering if its reading the levels wrong?
If you are seeing condensation you have more than enough. I would say your hygrometer is off.

Thanks, Im using just the hygrometer thats with the incubator. Is it normally very reliable? Or would it be wise to try and find a second one as well? I have no idea where to look to even find one.

Thanks, Im using just the hygrometer thats with the incubator. Is it normally very reliable? Or would it be wise to try and find a second one as well? I have no idea where to look to even find one.
Don't ever ever ever rely on the gages with the incubators. (Unless you have tested them.) They are notorious for being wrong. Both humidity and temps. Always have an independent checked thermometer and hygrometer in your bator.

Three OUT!!!! I woke up several times last night to check on them... and no progress... then at about 8am ... things started to get moving... my daughter went to school and 15 min later the first one was born... followed by the other two! She is going to be SO bummed that she missed it!   But... I did manage to catch it on video!

I have two more that have nice size pips... so I am hopeful that these will appear soon!

Thank you so much for all your help! .... :jumpy

Michele

That is great. I have been off line for a while and missed this . Congratulations!!!

I put 12 eggs in... 3 didn't make it... and 7 are out running around the brooder doing great.... The last two are in the bator with good sized pips!

I hope to get everyone out by tomorrow because my Serama eggs were Supposed to go in lockdown today!

Michele

Edit... to add that the last two hatched and are doing well.... so that makes 9 out of 12 that were set!!! So Happy!!
[/quote]

That is wonderful. Good job.

Last edited:
Don't even spend any money on a hygrometer until you've calibrated the one you have. Do a thread search on Salt test, or find it in "hatching 101" in the learning center. If you read the entirety of that section, you'll be an incubation expert... well, maybe not, but well on your way! I give the same advice regarding thermometers. You can go buy 5 brand new ones, and find that they are all different, and there's no way to tell which one is closest to the target. I found that I had pretty good luck when I bought one at the pet shop in the reptile/fish section.

Back
Top Bottom