Little Giant Incubation Experiment - Day 21 - Hatch Day!

Which model Little Giant do you prefer?

• Model 9200 (Manual controls)

Votes: 24 44.4%
  • Model 9300 (Digital controls)

Votes: 30 55.6%

• Total voters
hit.gif
Woke up to find Minny ( our Serama - had died) I found her first before my daughter- thankfully- But I am so sad about this. I knew that they had a high chance of dying in the shell but I thought that once they hatched - they were good? She didn't seem sick...or overly weak. I just don't know what happened.
I had a white one (we think Chantecler) that I found in the brooder dead a week after hatch. No idea what happened. She wasn't sick, no signs of distress. I have no clue. It still puzzles me. So sorry to hear that you lost her.
hugs.gif
and
hugs.gif
for your daughter too.
sad.png

:hit Woke up to find Minny ( our Serama - had died) I found her first before my daughter- thankfully- But I am so sad about this. I knew that they had a high chance of dying in the shell but I thought that once they hatched - they were good?  She didn't seem sick...or overly weak. I just don't know what happened.

Awww that's so horrible. I'm sorry. Hugs to you and your daughter...

hit.gif
Woke up to find Minny ( our Serama - had died) I found her first before my daughter- thankfully- But I am so sad about this. I knew that they had a high chance of dying in the shell but I thought that once they hatched - they were good? She didn't seem sick...or overly weak. I just don't know what happened.
Oh no! :( Do you think the bigger chicks could have picked on her?

Thanks everyone... Guess that it wasn't meant to be this time around... There is always the chance that i could give it another go... now that I figured out this incubation thing. I don't believe that the bigger chicks picked on her at all... in fact she stayed under the heat lamp - solo most of the time and the other 2 chicks ignored her.

Michele

:hit Woke up to find Minny ( our Serama - had died) I found her first before my daughter- thankfully- But I am so sad about this. I knew that they had a high chance of dying in the shell but I thought that once they hatched - they were good?  She didn't seem sick...or overly weak. I just don't know what happened.

I'm so sorry about your baby chick:(

Last edited:
Well the other two chicks never made it out of the eggs. I guess the humidity must have got too low because the membrane seemed kind of dry and they were shrink wrapped and stuck. :( It's definitely a sinking feeling when they made it so far just to get stuck and die. On the bright side, my one little chick is doing really well. It's very active and seems to really enjoy my attention. I've already got my incubator cleaned, started collecting eggs and did the salt test for my hygrometer, which was reading 26% off. I'm going to buy an egg turner today and hope to have more eggs set by either Wednesday or Thursday, with a better idea of what I'm doing and more of a game plan this time.

Well the other two chicks never made it out of the eggs. I guess the humidity must have got too low because the membrane seemed kind of dry and they were shrink wrapped and stuck. :( It's definitely a sinking feeling when they made it so far just to get stuck and die. On the bright side, my one little chick is doing really well. It's very active and seems to really enjoy my attention. I've already got my incubator cleaned, started collecting eggs and did the salt test for my hygrometer, which was reading 26% off. I'm going to buy an egg turner today and hope to have more eggs set by either Wednesday or Thursday, with a better idea of what I'm doing and more of a game plan this time.

Unfortunately the first one is usually trial and error.... a learning experience. Good luck with your continued efforts. Keep us posted!

Back
Top Bottom