Little Giant Incubation Experiment - Day 21 - Hatch Day!

Which model Little Giant do you prefer?

• Model 9200 (Manual controls)

Votes: 24 44.4%
  • Model 9300 (Digital controls)

Votes: 30 55.6%

• Total voters
Maybe they'll hatch Sunday for you...lol

Since they are banties, maybe!
big_smile.png
But I didn't set them until Monday late evening, so I'm not banking on it. Actually Tuesday will probably be a harder day for me to work!

I'm on my 2nd try now. I've put 8 eggs in the bator and doing an experiment. I have 6 eggs laying regular and 2 eggs dull-side-up in an egg carton in there. The temperature has been raised and due to the lower oxygen levels in the air at a high elevation, I'm not putting the plugs in this time. Tomorrow is day 5, so I'll see just how accurate my roo has been.

So the chick that had bled stayed right where he was all day with no progress yesterday, until last night. Two other chicks hatched (which I got to watch, it was awesome!) and they seemed to give him the encouragement to really get moving, but I had already stayed up later than I needed to so I had to go to bed and leave him alone and hope for the best. Woke up this morning to 5 healthy chicks, including him!, all walking and tumbling all over the bator, lol.
I had one zipped and one pipped right before I had to leave for work, and still 6 more with no pips yet.
It's so tempting to leave work early to go back home and keep an eye one them >.>

So how did yours turn out?
I got 5 pips yesterday, but still waiting for the first one to make it out. They think I'm crazy at work. I called off yesterday and today! I just can't leave them! I'm having some temperature issues, so I'm babysitting it like a nutcase. Can't open it to help one that hasn't made much progress over 24 hours, but I just helped him pull off a bunch of shell through a vent hole with a straw! He's trying hard now, so maybe, just maybe..

I am collecting my eggs to start again with a mix of sorts. I will have 12 or 13 eggs going in today depends on what the girls give me. It will be Silver laced Polish, SLP/EE, and SLP/Barred Rock. We shall see what happens! I hope it works out well. My first was okay and the next two just sucked! However I am bound and determined to make this work well!

So how did yours turn out?
I got 5 pips yesterday, but still waiting for the first one to make it out. They think I'm crazy at work. I called off yesterday and today! I just can't leave them! I'm having some temperature issues, so I'm babysitting it like a nutcase. Can't open it to help one that hasn't made much progress over 24 hours, but I just helped him pull off a bunch of shell through a vent hole with a straw! He's trying hard now, so maybe, just maybe..
Haven't really had much chance to get on lately. How are yours doing now? I know it's so hard sitting at work, thinking about how badly you want to get back home the whole time! I'm glad I'm not the only one, haha! :p

Well, my hatch turned out so much better than the first one. I had 9 our of 13 hatch, 4 of them never even pipped, so I don't really know why they died :( I did have a very unfortunate incident happen with one of my chicks though. I had an arm full of stuff I was bringing into the house to get ready for my 2 year old's birthday party, and as we were going into the garage my son wanted to look at the chicks. He had his face stuck right up to one of the chicks faces so I leaned over a little to try and push him back a bit, and when I did a block of cheese fell out of my arms and right on top of one of the chick's head, killing it
hit.gif

I nearly started crying but managed to hold back for my son's sake because he had no idea what was going on, and I didn't want him getting upset too.
But otherwise, all my other chicks are doing great!

Haven't really had much chance to get on lately. How are yours doing now? I know it's so hard sitting at work, thinking about how badly you want to get back home the whole time! I'm glad I'm not the only one, haha! :p

Well, my hatch turned out so much better than the first one. I had 9 our of 13 hatch, 4 of them never even pipped, so I don't really know why they died :( I did have a very unfortunate incident happen with one of my chicks though. I had an arm full of stuff I was bringing into the house to get ready for my 2 year old's birthday party, and as we were going into the garage my son wanted to look at the chicks. He had his face stuck right up to one of the chicks faces so I leaned over a little to try and push him back a bit, and when I did a block of cheese fell out of my arms and right on top of one of the chick's head, killing it
hit.gif

I nearly started crying but managed to hold back for my son's sake because he had no idea what was going on, and I didn't want him getting upset too.
Oh NO!!! I am so sorry! That is hard. I would have cried.
hugs.gif

hit.gif

Oh my goodness, that's so awful! Who would have thought that it would have landed directly on one? Wow. I'm so sorry!!
hugs.gif

Your hatch was better than mine. So far, only 6 of 11 have hatched. The final 5 are still in the bator, will know when I get home if anything is going to happen with them. (yes, I finally worked yesterday and today! lol) I had 5 hatch throughout Tuesday, and the 6th last night. I'm doubtful that anything is happening with the 5 at home, but with the temperature issues I had, I'm happy with my 6. 3 beautiful little polish, and 3 bantam cochin.

Well, my hatch turned out so much better than the first one. I had 9 our of 13 hatch, 4 of them never even pipped, so I don't really know why they died :( I did have a very unfortunate incident happen with one of my chicks though. I had an arm full of stuff I was bringing into the house to get ready for my 2 year old's birthday party, and as we were going into the garage my son wanted to look at the chicks. He had his face stuck right up to one of the chicks faces so I leaned over a little to try and push him back a bit, and when I did a block of cheese fell out of my arms and right on top of one of the chick's head, killing it :hit

So sorry about the accident and loss of your chick. I've had freaky little accidents at times too with tiny animals. Had a 2" hamster I let out of her habitat in my bathroom then for an hour chased her back and forth trying to catch her only to end up stepping on her and killing her. Made me heartsick.

I'm also very sorry about your accident. I think we, as chicken keepers, can all relate to this type of thing. Once I was bringing a bag of feed to the coop to fill up my 30lb feeder. It was kind of hard to see where I was going, and when I stepped over the threshold into the coop, I stepped right on a week old chick :hit I felt horrible for weeks!

Back
Top Bottom